beautiful film, and a great piece of writing! feels like the kind of movie that i will find more details in in subsequent rewatches (which i am certainly planning on doing) i also really want to read the screenplay
I've seen a number of reviews on here for this film that are something along the lines of: 'Can't talk about this now, still a bit overwhelmed by it', which is exactly how I feel. Lots of moments of this keep replaying in my mind, and I imagine will do for the next few days. I want to have really long conversations about it with my friends, disecting each scene in minute detail, somehow never really understanding every final fragment of this film, but just feeling it.
I want to re-watch this as soon as possible.
a selection of moments where i actually cackled:
- (maggie smith pointing at crew) “look at those bored people over there”
- maggie smith dragging lawrence olivier (repeatedly!)
- “vanessa got arrested and then remembered that she had a matinee”
- eileen on the way back from a protest buying some crumpets
- “[being a dame] doesn’t make any difference, you can still swear”
- “hold on, we’re not supposed to be talking about that”
- “fuck off! i’ve just…