Kill Bill: Vol. 1

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 ★★★★½

- Define: “Tarantinesque”.
- That’s an easy one: Kill Bill.

Vengeance; Quentin Tarantino’s favorite topic. If there’s something difficult to do, is to decide which is the Tarantino film with the best violent approach.

Now, having watched Kill Bill, the number of films in his filmography which portray vengeance and violence at its best are three to me: Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained and this.

If Tarantino is good at something, besides writing, is at taking his greatest inspirations and turning them into mythic works in cinema history. The very reason why he’s been too popular, whether someone’s into films or not, is because he knows how to adapt the very best of cinema into something refreshing, and iconic, to the point where every single film of his has at least one scene which sticks into everyone who watches his filmography.

Kill Bill has brought a badass female icon, the Ironside Siren Sound, Battle Without Honor and Humanity by Tomoyasu Hotei, mythic scenes inspired by Japanese gems such as Shikoku or Lady Snowblood and more.

Tarantino stylistic way of making cinema achieved a memorable story, in a way only he could create it. From the way the film starts with a noir filter to create intrigue, the fantastically choreographed fights along Uma Thurman’s brutal preparation, to the mixture between live-action and a 2D Japanese animation.

Not Pulp Fiction, not Django, nor Reservoir Dogs or any other film; if I had to recommend someone who’s never watched anything from Tarantino, it’d be Kill Bill, so that the person can feel the definitive experience between gore, satire, homages, and a digestible story which depicts everything as a frenzy of epicity.

Great film. Definitely top three in Tarantino’s filmography. I still don’t understand how could I spend so many years without knowing anything about it.

Score: 9.3