The Milky Way ★★★★★

Oh my god, this is a hard film to score - but for the time being, this may be where I stand on it. This bad boy is the film I’ve always wanted from Buñuel: a grueling, unusual, aggressively satirical, and boldly ambitious surrealist feature - but this time with a very obvious subject matter. This thing winds all over the place, taking the viewers from one time period to another to another in seconds, incorporating pieces of history from all time eras and characters as obscure as Marquis de Sade to as popular as Jesus of Nazareth. Through the road traveled by the two beggars, we see the ins and outs of faith and spirituality, the temptations that approach those on this path, and the humor in the absurdity of it all. I honestly feel like this film can strengthen a Catholic’s beliefs, but make atheists laugh over and over again. It’s a very interesting and smart look at Christianity and very excellently done as well. Honestly, there’s not a part I didn’t like. I feel like the pacing was odd, and maybe the structure was a bit too confused, and there wasn’t really a progression of events that much - but then again, these are complaints typical for a film by Buñuel, and I must say that this is the best he’s been about these particular issues. If this film is about religion, and The Discreet Charm of the Bougeousie was a look at class, I can’t wait to see where his mind went for The Phantom of Liberty. Very good feat for Buñuel, and honestly my current favorite. I feel like if there was a way to find a hybrid of this and Belle de Jour, it could be my favorite movie.

Emil liked these reviews