2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

This movie was so good that it gave me a headache. Maybe just cause I was holding my computer as close to my face as physically possible so I could take in all of this masterpiece. I'm still in awe of how ahead of its time this movie was. I was completely baffled by how they managed to pull off so much of what they did and it took me a good hour to realize that they were rotating the sets. Just imagine how it would feel to see this in 1968 when everybody knew so little about space. Even now, after I watched this movie I look like I've just seen a ghost. I probably would've fainted if I saw it 52 years ago.

I'm still taking in this movie so there's no way I'll be able to write an actual review. It's clearly evident that so much time and effort was put into this movie. The set designs are especially well-thought-out and perfectly encapture the setting, maybe more so than any movie I've ever seen (given the year this film was made). Another thing I love about 2001 is how it beautifully illustrates the perils of technology in a way that's still relevant today. I just wish the first thing that came to my mind when I saw HAL wasn't "Oh look its AUTO from WALL-E" 😭

The best thing about this movie of course is just how ahead of its time it was. I need to go research now how they did all their special effects because I'm still so confused. The technology seemed so advanced and I'm still wondering how they managed to pull that off in 1968. What kept going through my mind when I was watching this was that A Trip to the Moon came out in 1902 and 2001 came out in 1968, which is such little time for such an advancement in the film industry, and in humanity as a whole. And then I remembered that Apollo 11 happened in 1969 (which should be even crazier, but for some reason my brain believes that 2001 was a bigger feat to pull off). Anyways I really loved this movie time to get some Advil

emma liked these reviews