Jojo Rabbit

Jojo Rabbit ★★★★

Just an adorable film! The idea of a boy who would sacrifice his childhood in adoration of a manipulating dictator and masculinity in a way feels almost far-fetched on its own. The agenda Hitler’s party was brainwashing the nation with and of course, the way the youth’s mental health was dismissed is being satirised. I’m not at all an expert in the field, but I could imagine after WW2 most of the attention was focused on rebuilding Germany and the rest of the world’s economy and repairing damage. The support for the generation who grew up in war and had to deal with the repercussions of it may not have been a top priority? At least we now realise how vulnerable youth is to propaganda and such.

Personally, I did not have a problem with the way they dealt with sensitive topics. Taika’s character as an entire embodiment of the Nazi regime was brilliant, in my opinion. Jojo’s development and mental separation from his idolisation of Hitler’s ideas as he grows closer to Elsa, could be shown physically with it. I was also very impressed with the kids’ acting.