2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★

I could make a whole website dedicated to why I think Kubrick’s work is totally overrated. But that would give him too much credit. And I’m first and foremost trying to review the films, not the filmmakers. So I’ll say this about 2001: A Space Odyssey:

Iconic science fiction: Yes.

Great imagery: Yes.

Scary computer taking over the ship: Yes please.

Calling this a great movie after watching the ridiculous dancing apes in the first 20(!) minutes, the looooooong shots of just about every bleeping little nothing, the absolutely HORRENDOUS soundtrack combining waltzes from Strauss with incredibly annoying atonal violins/choirs/screeches by I’m guessing the same dancing apes from the beginning of the movie: I’m sorry pal, I’m afraid I can’t do that!

Isn’t an odyssey supposed to be a good adventure? This felt like a roadtrip to France in a car with two hyperactive children sitting in the back: sure, you get some nice views now and then but most of the time the noise and boredom make you want it to be over soon. I almost fell asleep two times and I had to mute the sound sometimes because I couldn’t take it anymore. Really, really, did not like watching most of it.

I give it 4/10 purely for giving other sci-fi moviemakers inspiration.

Kubrick didn’t disappoint. Because I expect his movies to annoy the crap out of me.