BlacKkKlansman

BlacKkKlansman ★★★½

Ron Stallworth is a young african american who joins the Colorado police hoping that his presence and work will contribute to the fight for equality and representation. Dissatisfied with his job in the archives, he asks to be assigned a different area and ends up infiltrating the Ku Klux Klan. Spike Lee offers a protest with touches of humour and satire, a biting criticism without subtleties, as well as an entertaining and visually appealing film.

BlacKkKlansman contains notable moments such as Kwame Ture's speech or the heartbreaking stories told by a speaker to the Black Student Union interspersed with a sequence of supremacists celebrating the initiation of new members and observing The Birth of a Nation , as well as small moments of reflection shared by Ron and Flip. One of Lee's great strengths, in my opinion, is to set forth two complex visions that pursue the same goal in Ron and Patrice. He is a realist and tries to change the system from within, he is aware of the difficult road ahead, and must learn to coexist between two worlds. She is an activist with a radical attitude and embodies the tireless fighting spirit of young people who seek immediate change by whatever means are necessary. Likewise, the way in which the director uses his story to draw parallels and comment on the social and political situation in the United States today seems to me pertinent and organically achieved.

Now, on the not so positive I have to say that the last act and the resolution seemed hurried to me, although there are moments of tension throughout the film I think they were not taken to the limit and the final montage left me with mixed feelings. For one, I found it unnecessary and somewhat manipulative; I think Lee should have trusted that his audience is sufficiently informed, intelligent and aware of the social problems of today. On the other hand, it's a brutal way of connecting the past with the present, of reminding the audience that reality will always be cruder than fiction, and, while doing so, presenting a clear image of the contemporary world and leaving us with an unpleasantly bitter aftertaste.

Enfant du Siècle liked these reviews