Jules and Jim ★★★

It's easy to see why Jules et Jim is a classic film and one of the seminal works of the Nouvelle Vague; the ingenious way in which Truffaut plays with cinematographic language using diverse techniques, inserting real footage, and the narrator in voiceover gives a great dynamism that contrasts with the calm of the scenes in which the characters interact. I had a general idea of what the film is about, basically the strong friendship between two men and a love triangle on the eve of World War I; I have to confess that I thought that this conflict played a more important role, although it is evident that it has a great impact on the protagonists, their way of thinking and how they see the world.
The big problem, in my case, is that I couldn't connect with the story. Catherine's character seemed rather unpleasant to me, her cold and selfish behavior makes it difficult to like her; Jules himself says at some point "she's not especially beautiful or intelligent or sincere... but she is a real woman" and that is precisely what makes me wonder why these men find her so irresistible. On the other hand, I first enjoyed the titular characters, particularly Jim, and their honest and unique relationship, but as the film progresses both become entangled in Catherine's demands and whims to the point of losing their dignity and my sympathy. Finally, the ending is quite predictable and frankly I didn't like it at all, although I'm not sure this story could have ended otherwise.
Jules et Jim is a good film, especially in the formal aspects, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

Enfant du Siècle liked these reviews