Hereditary

Hereditary

Very rarely do I do feel the kind of anger and hate towards a film with the kind of passion that Hereditary has. The human drama and the representation of guilt and grief could be channeled into a first-rate horror film such as the likes of The Babadook and It Comes at Night. Instead, the film muddies the message with a ton of misdirection, ludicrous introduction of supernatural elements and an ending that twists it's own logic into knots only to come off as two-bit Roman Polanski. I spent thirty minutes after seeing the film to piece together everything, figured out all the clues, then realized I spent more time making the movie make sense than its director had. That said, the film is gorgeously shot, Toni Collette gives one of her most passionate performances and there are a couple of really creepy moments (which are completely undermined by the end of the film). This is not a new classic in the making, it's a self-indulging, pretentious, hilariously tone-deaf thriller where nobody is likable because they all make mind numbingly bad decisions. This movie is good-looking garbage.