2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

okay so the first time I watched this I was like 12 and it was on a crappy flat screen tv we owned, I remember being bored, I’m pretty sure I took a mini nap, and I didn’t really know what the hell was happening. I used to watch movies before just to say I watched them and having the small victory of watching movies before my sister. When it ended I had to say it was amazing because I didn’t want to look like an idiot.

Flash forward to now I have seen this movie twice in the theater in the span of 3 months, and I think it’s safe to say that I still don’t know what the hell any of it means. It’s just so much to take in, from the apes to the giant baby, it’s a lot. However now I think I can appreciate it for the masterpiece that it is.

Everything about this is stunning: the score, the cinematography, the directing, everything works. Watching this on the big screen, especially on 70mm and IMAX, you get to fully immerse yourself in this world. This movie reminds me of what film can be, how it can move you and make you feel things nothing else can.

Eric liked these reviews