Zodiac

Zodiac ★★★★★

Summer of Directors Challenge [1]
30- David Fincher

First off, I do not recommend watching Zodiac and Se7en in the same day. My brain was invaded with Se7en while watching this and I won't get a real reading on it until I watch it again, but I'm still giving it 5/5 because I can not see at this point any flaws in this film.

Fincher is so good at creating tension. This movie is almost three hours long, and you do feel that, but at the same time, near the end, I truly felt this choice which usually annoys me was necessary. The film's narrative structure mirrors the uncertainties of the real case, and that's what makes it so compelling. While in many ways similar to the recent Spotlight, this film manages to play with time in a way that insists on the devastating effects a long-term investigation can have on those who have been trying to connect the dots.

And connecting the dots is at the heart of the film - I went in having read the Zodiac killer's wikipedia page and therefore considering myself an expert in the matter (at least compared to my parents who had not heard of him somehow) and yet I found myself swept away, thinking at several moments that they might actually unveil who the killer was, despite knowing that the case remains unsolved to this day. While you may think a 3 hour film about an unsolved case can only culminate in frustration, Fincher manages to create a thought-provoking ending masterfully crafted to create a certain sense of satisfaction in the viewer, because the viewer has built an opinion and doesn't feel like they've wasted 3 hours of their life watching a film that doesn't say anything. The great performances (Gyllenhaal, Ruffalo, Lynch) also contribute to the worth of the film.

Kat liked these reviews