The Lion King

The Lion King

I feel like I keep saying this in 2019 but I sincerely doubt I will see a more inept film this year (besides the ones I've already seen.) Just utterly ill-conceived in every single frame. Not only do the characters have zero capacity for expression, they actually gave them bizarre stage business to make up for this. So in the middle of a line Timon will just start scratching himself, I guess in an attempt to remind you that he's alive and not a disturbing digital zombie. And all the songs have been completely sapped of life. Every single one is just the characters walking forward in a straight line through a digital set as the camera cuts awkwardly between different angles of them. It's astonishing to see a film with so little visual imagination. It really does feel like it was auto-assembled by a computer program, the first true entry in Algorithm Cinema. Or how about how Chiwetel Ejiofor's abysmal performance as Scar, completely draining the character of the sly queer charm that made him so memorable. God. Just a disaster in every conceivable way.

Esther liked these reviews