Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter ★★★★

"What is that?"
"I'm you, idiot"

I think this film has made me a nihilist.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is so hellbent on destroying all the previously established canon, while, at the same time, is so self reflexive that it continuously references, narratively and visually, all the other entries. The Final Chapter's ambivalence it's audience doesn't stop there. Where previous entries prided themselves on the excellently shot (and ridiculous) action sequences, The Final Chapter makes it's action sequences as indecipherable as the plot. A plot so saturated in the franchise's recursive nature by having layers and layers of clones, copies, incestuous meta-textual references that heighten and diminish the power of every scene. This is how it must look when two mirrors face each other and the results made me giddy.

Truly, at this endpoint, one must finally decide to stop asking questions. There is no sound reason why. Don't bother trying to figure out what's happening. Turn back if you're still asking how it relates to the games. It's okay that you're mad and you're smiling. It's okay. None of this matters.

Four out of five stars.