Knives Out ★★★★

“I suspect foul play”

I can’t believe just how good this really was. I was not super hyped at all to see this, but my god it was a fantastic murder mystery whodunnit.

First, Rian Johnson. Great writing and direction. The script is genuinely funny and very clever. The way that the characters act and speak seemed very realistic actually, but they still each have a hint of ridiculousness that makes them so fun to watch. The acting. Ana de Armas, Daniel Craig, and Chris Evans are the clear standouts to me, but the rest of the huge cast are great as well.

The plot is what is really interesting here though. I really don’t care for this niche genre of films and TV, but this finds unique ways to subvert the genre and put actual good twists in the typical formula. Every time you think you know what is going on, the film takes you to other places and guides you in another direction. It is really hard to explain while not spoiling anything, but just take my word for it and go see this because it might be one of the most accessible and entertaining films this year.

2019 is turning out to be real good for film in my opinion.

EDIT: Moving down from 4.5/5 to a 4/5 just because it doesn't quite fit my other typical 4.5s, but still a great film

Evan liked these reviews