Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★½

Finally some good fkn food (although this is only my 3rd 2020 watch of the year...)

This film is fantastic. I think what it does best is not romanticize being deaf which other media and other movies about illness/disabilities/etc tend to do. This really gives what I think an accurate portrayal of someone with this condition would do at any point in the movie. The whole setup is so surprising and unique that it really catches you off guard. The emotions feel realistic and not fabricated despite this being a fictional tale.

Riz Ahmed is great in this, and hopefully he gets some recognition for the performance. Olivia Cooke was a pleasant surprise since I can't even remember the last thing I have seen her in. But the real star of the show here is the directing and sound design. I like the look and progression of this story quite a bit, but the sound design is truly like a character all on it's own. It is an integral part to the storytelling and also manipulating how I felt about certain scenes which would not normally happen in a film. Granted, the story is revolved around sound and the lack of, but really this was such a great use from a storytelling aspect.

Overall, watch this one if you can, and while it may not be the most cheerful film of the year, it definitely is one of the best. Makes me even more sad I didn't get to see it on the big screen :'(

Evan liked these reviews