The Man Who Haunted Himself ★★★½

I was fortunate enough to meet Sir Roger Moore this year when he did his theater tour of the UK in the run up to Skyfall's release. In the tour he revealed that his career greatest performance was in this particular little known movie, The Man Who Haunted Himself. Thanks to a good mate that sought out this ultra rare DVD for my birthday, I now know that Roger wasn't lying.

This movie plays like one of Hitchcock's finest thrillers. I don't really do the chore of repeating the movie's storyline in these reviews as you have professional reviews to read if you want that. But essentially as this isn't so well known I'll give you a quick lowdown.

Harold Pelham (Moore) has a car crash from which he is lucky to survive, however, once freed from the confines of his hospital bed he soon begins to realise that all is not as it seems. Is he having a mental breakdown? Is he schizophrenic? Or is there a doppelganger stealing aspects of his life?

This rather outlandish plot is completely grounded by the sheer class of Moore's performance. A great performance does not necessarily make a good film (see Tom Hanks in Larry Crowne: youtu.be/yidXeyTFM48) but the tension and the escalation of drama as the Doppelganger's activities progress from a simple game of snooker with a colleague on a Thursday night to sleeping with other women and making boardroom decisions really keeps you gripped to the end.

Right the way through Moore has great fun playing both parts, one increasingly disturbed and broken character, the other a smug and eyebrow raising ice cool character. (Yes, he still raises his eyebrows, he even has a line referencing James Bond, 3 years prior to his debut in the role.)

This film is definitely worth a watch, both for Moore fans and for fans of the old Twilight Zone/ Alfred Hitchcock style thrillers and especially worth a look for those that think Moore is only a set of eyebrows and a tanned torso.