Lemonade ★★★★

I feel like I could do that thing of saying what this hour-long visual poem/musical album reminds me of -- because there are clearly visual and cinematic cues here -- but I don't really feel equal to that at all. Instead, I'll observe that to me Lemonade feels both intensely personal (it has two credited directors and many co-directors, but this is an auteur work by Beyoncé more than anyone else) as well as being something of a catalogue of Black visual representations in many styles, from many eras and in many places. In the sense of it being personal, I mean not that it's a capital-S Statement by Beyoncé about her own life (it may be, but that's not really what makes it interesting to me), so much as an engagement with a history and dynamic of representation, racism, misogyny, artistic heritage, motherhood, feminism, et al., as refracted through her own personality and shared experiences. I'm probably not really putting this very well, so maybe I should say instead that I think it's thrilling and wonderful, poetic in style (and interspersed with literal poetry), densely elliptical in its thematics (but maybe that's just because it's not aimed at me). It's not a collection of music videos; it's a film. And it's wonderful.