Christopher Robin ★★

It is easy enough to fall for this film's charms. It is, after all, a Winnie the Pooh film, and those characters just hold us as embodiments of winning charm. We all like Pooh, and we are monsters if we don't.

But the whole thing is fueled mainly with fuzzy nostalgia, the story offering little beyond the fond remembrance of having these characters around. It is a strange film that is aimed not at children, but the child that is still inside adults. It is the story of a man who has grown up to be not fun, and must be reminded by his childhood friends that maybe he should hang out with his very lovely wife and young daughter.

It gets sweet, but mostly in a way that feels thoroughly focused group for its market. And its market, again, is adults, despite the fact that it does feature stuffed animals that come to life. This is not to say that movies for grown-ups can't involve stuffed animals that come to life, but the film plays things broad in a way that only really works in a children's film. But no child can relate to the loss of wonder that the main character goes through. No child will engage with his struggle to cut costs for his post-war luggage company. No child will really feel his conflict with his lazy boss.

And grown-ups can breathe in the nostalgia and enjoy themselves on that level, I suppose. But there just isn't much more to this film than that. The conflicts are flat and childish, with the resolutions already presented. And we all like Pooh, but it feels kind of wrong that he is present in a movie that kids probably won't enjoy.