The Worst Person in the World

The Worst Person in the World ★★★½

sent me into a bit a of a night spiral, but that was more a 'frank' thing than a trier or julie thing. some of the distanced intimacy—intentional screenplay vagueness filled in by an invested actor invested in looking—of the protagonist felt good and right: how should feelings or intentions be expected to be concretely expressed when communication is a liquid process? some of the late act story revelations ("we need something to happen") felt contrived not in the sense that bad things happening is a contrivance but that their introduction signaled a need for this story to make something of itself. am I reacting out of personal anxiety, having experienced bad things without having made much of myself? I don't think so. a lot of what resonates earlier in this film is the incidental-ness it brings to its incidents: structures can be imposed, orders can be parted and numbered, but mostly things just happen. a tragedy is no more meaningful than a kiss or a cup of coffee and vice a versa. the introduction of diagnosis (a meaning-making strategy) as narrative element in the film's late act re-centers it on Aksel, which is entirely their (the film/ the filmmaker’s) prerogative. but it does bring a kind of judgment on Julie in the process; I’m not sure if it’s a totally worthy judgment in consideration of Reinsve’s performance, a thing that sees beyond what making gives. what am I trying to say? I have worked at bookstores, I will work at more bookstores.

Block or Report