Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★

I struggled to get through Twin Peaks because there was just so much of it that I lost patience for scenes and ideas that felt completely contrived. I was able to put that sense aside for a movie and just really lean into the weirdness.

While there were still scenes that grated against my sensibilities and felt unsatisfying and unearned, like the ballad scene, I was always transfixed by the imagery and sound. And when I think about it, there are many movies I like that only have one or two moments that really grab you in a visceral way like almost every scene does here.

It’s my first time watching a Lynch film, so I’m sure there’s a lot to appreciate about his style that I haven’t picked up on yet. But I love the visual richness that makes certain scenes feel so hyper real.

I’m thinking now about a friend in college who would always tell me “Mulholland Drive is so weird. I love it but it’s so trippy. No one knows what it’s about! It’s so weird dude,” and how funny it would have been if I had discovered this movie back then.

fatherjawnmisty liked these reviews