Seven Samurai

Seven Samurai ★★★★½

Included In Lists:
Criterion Collection - #2

Review In A Nutshell:

Akira Kurosawa’s masterpiece? Not quite, at the moment I am still feeling the effects of Ikiru and Rashomon, films that captivated me mentally and emotionally, at times unable to compose myself of the tragedies and mystery that both films were able to carry. Seven Samurai aims of being a much larger film, it encapsulates the devastating effects and necessity of war through the simple story of seven samurais hired by the pitiful farmers of a defenceless village, paid by providing three meals a day, and how the presence of their protectors have changed the attitude of the village. Aside from being their guardians, they teach the male villagers to change their attitudes, instilling the necessity for men to be prepared and dedicated to protect their land and their crops. Within this tale, features romantic, moral, tragedy, and social elements that fills its extended running time, unable to lose itself into the specifics and drag its pace; it aims to provide entertainment and that is what is given. By the end one would have endured sadness, laughter, joy, and excitement, without the occasional slip-ups from a incapable filmmaker; Kurosawa understands the scope of his material and has achieved in meeting with his own personal expectations. The film may not have left me with a deep connection as compared to his more intimate films, but there is no doubt that this film has earned its generous reputation and is an effective example on why Kurosawa is one of the greatest filmmakers of the 20th century.

feedingbrett liked these reviews