Conan the Destroyer ★★★★

What with the Conan remake coming out, I'm reminded that, even though I probably shouldn't, I LOVE Conan the Destroyer, the second of the two original Conan films starring Arnie.

Exhibit A: Grace Jones. Fierce as hell, and funny. I love her removable metal head-plate she uses to head-butt people!

Exhibit B: The score. EPIC. No subtleties belong in this movie! I particularly love the score during the huge battle at the end.

Exhibit C: A virgin sacrifice that isn't (because Arnie's Conan's like, "This is bullshit.").

Exhibit D: Wimpy thief for comic relief, bent on stealing everything shiny in the world. And his brother's sister's cousin totally didn't say anything about bars.

Exhibit E: That crazy-ass, crystal castle wizard and his multiple creature-in-mirrors trick.

Exhibit F: Wilt Chamberlain. My dad informed me that he was a famous basketball player. But everyone else knows him as someone who apparently screwed a fuckton of women. Anyway, he definitely looks like someone who could believably be a match for Arnie.

Exhibit G: Mako as the wizard (and narrator). They rescue this dude from cannibals at the beginning. Otherwise, he can't be fucked with; you need a wizard along. Also, because I know him from this, I get special enjoyment hearing him as Aku in Samurai Jack.

Exhibit H: The queen's cool clothes. Before she gets eaten by Dagoth, anyway.

Exhibit I: Drunken Conan trying to show the princess how to use a sword (after insulting Zula's spear as a "toothpick," lol). Arnie's acting really isn't too bad, which is even more noticeable when you watch something like Red Sonja and see how terrible Brigitte Nielsen is in comparison.

Exhibit J: The various sex talks given to the princess, such as Zula's advice to just "grab" and "take" the man you want, and the thief's ridiculous speech about flowers.

felonioustongue liked this review