Marriage Story ★★★★★

I heard this movie was being called 2019’s Kramer vs. Kramer, which to an extent, it’s a very fair comparison. However, Marriage Story couldn’t be more unique even if it tried. Without having to think about it twice, I can confidently say that this is the best thing writer/director Noah Baumbach has ever done, the best thing Adam Driver and Scarlet Johansson have ever been in and the best screenplay of the year (sorry Knives Out and Parasite). I was emotionally invested since the very beginning, this movie never missed a beat. One of the best things about it is how balanced it is in developing its leads. I always understood both characters, to the point where it was almost impossible for me to pick a side in the charged divorce case our leads are going through. Most important of all, this movie made me feel very strong emotions. I don’t know how Noah Baumbach does it, but he always manages to break my heart with subtlety and without the need of being over the top. This is for sure, one of the best movies of the year.

Side note: Just when I thought everyone would be facing Joaquin Phoenix’s direction, in comes Adam Driver to make award season a hell more interesting. Scarlet Johansson probably has the Oscar in the bag.

Fernando liked these reviews