There Will Be Blood ★★★★★

This modern American classic is over six years old now, and my wife HAD NEVER SEEN IT. Until yesterday afternoon, that is.

I can't recall the last time I spent time with this brilliant piece of work, but it sure hasn't lost a step. I always seem to forget that Ciarin Hinds has a small role in it. Where is he? He definitely needs to work more. Daniel Day-Lewis as Daniel Plainview still remains of the most unforgettable and jaw-dropping performances in the history of cinema. The collaboration between PT Anderson and cinematographer Robert Elswit deserves to be mentioned alongside the absolute elite in the business, and what they paint with this one is magnificent.

I'm still not joining the group who claims this to be Anderson's best film, but there is hardly an arguable decision no matter what you choose. Magnolia still strikes the strongest chord with me. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that that film found me at the most budding time of my movie-watching life. It's truly an event to stop and focus on whenever he is set to release another film, which we will get to mark our calendars for again later this year with Inherent Vice. It makes me happy to know that he is still only 43 years old, with hopefully many classics left in his future.