Cinema Paradiso ★★★★★

Tonight, halfway through my third viewing of Giuseppe Tornatore´s "Cinema Paradiso", I asked myself a question. A question that I had asked myself a hundred times before, but never really known the answer to.

"Why do I love cinema?"

There are three things that I hold more dearly than anything in this world. My family, my friends and cinema.

In short, my family gives me warm comfort and unconditional love.

My friends give me idiotic laughter and unbreakable trust.

So what about cinema?
Is it the wonderful and imaginative escapism, one of the few means to transport yourself away from the mundane life you find yourself leading, and into a dream?
Is it my ongoing search for an emotional connection? Inspiration?

I´m positive that when I´m older I´ll actually be able to give a better thought out, nuanced and philosophical-sounding answer to this question, but for now I think I´ll let this do:

I love cinema because of The Empire Strikes Back

I love cinema because Lester Burnham felt "great"

I love cinema because G.I. Joe felt like the greatest movie I´d ever seen when I saw it for the first time, even when I knew it wasn´t

I love cinema because Sean Astin in The Lord Of The RIngs

I love movies because, for a second, I thought Norman Bates was the devil.

I love movies because "It´s Hip To Be Square"

I love cinema because the ending of Enemy almost gave me a heart attack

I love cinema because Phil Lord and Christopher Miller consistently manage to subvert my expectations

I love cinema because Orson Welles was 26 years old when he wrote, directed and starred in Citizen Kane

I love cinema because The Blair Witch Project felt real

I love cinema because of the music in How To Train Your Dragon

I love cinema because of the final fight in The Man From Nowhere

I love cinema because of the diner scene in Heat

I love cinema because of the bizarre, hilarious sex scene in A Clockwork Orange

I love cinema because of the opening credits of Watchmen

I love cinema because Ralph Fiennes´wife in In Bruges is an inanimate fucking object

I love cinema because I loved Pompeii

I love cinema because of Eduardo´s rage in The Social Network

I love cinema because Anton Ego was served ratatoullie

I love cinema because The Avengers assembled

I love cinema because Gary Oldman wants EVERYOOOOOOONE!!!

I love cinema because of Tom Hulce´s laugh in Amadeus

I love cinema because of Audrey Hepburn´s smile

I love cinema because I can share it with others

I love cinema because I could go on all night

I love cinema because of the experiences, the memories, the moments, and the fact that a quote from The Notebook perfectly sums it all up:

“I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I've ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, everyday we are together is the greatest day of my life. I will always be yours".

Sincerely,