I'm Thinking of Ending Things ★★★★½

Watched on Netflix (87/100).

This is my second watch of "I'm Thinking Of Ending Things". The first time I watched this I grasped the notion of a janitor looking back into his life, his girlfriend and his parents. All the regrets he has and the trouble with memory at an older age. I might grasped the idea of it being a metaphor for Alzheimer's disease later on.

On a second watch you start to see more details; the way the events unfolding in the janitor's life and his surroundings are reflecting in his broken memory of him (or someone he knew) and his girlfriend(s). The wallpaper is a giveaway, or the girls whispering in the hallway vs the girls whispering in Tulsey Town, the Oklahoma license plate, the janitor work suits in the washing machine, the fact that the parents' house looks exactly like his own house. The thing I just now understand is that the janitor is killing himself in the end in the car. That's why it smells like 'varnishing'; also the large layer of snow on top of the car is indicating he has been at it for quite a time so it might also be him hallucinating on the exhaust fumes... who knows.

I like that I have to use my engineering brain for this and approach it like a giant puzzle. Every piece of cloth and titbit is important to form a full picture of the story. It's a 'like' though; not a 'love'. The thing I love about this movie is the dance sequence. I don't know why but this is the first time that a dance sequence gave me genuine goose bumps.

I love how this movie makes me think about The Caretaker. His music has always been about Alzheimer's disease and there were some moments of sound editing which really took inspiration of his music I felt like.

The movie does dip a little right before they approach the school building and right after Tulsey Town; which is a bit of shame.

I do think I need to watch this a couple more times but these are my thoughts for now.