• Those Eyebrows

★★★½

If you have to pad your comedy with superfluous song-and-dance sequences, it helps to make most of them really, really good.

• mimi

★★★★★

Getta your tootsie-frootsie ice cream!

• James Patrick

★★★★½

Tutsi Fruitsie!! Tutsi Fruitsie ice cream!

• TajLV

Part of My 1930s Challenge

Firmly entrenched now at MGM sans Zeppo, the three remaining Marx Brothers no longer had to base their scripts on previous Broadway shows or write all their own gags. For this film directed by Sam Wood, they had a team of seven writers working on the original story and screen play, including gag man Al Boasberg, who claimed he deserved sole credit for the comedic scenes. MGM punished his impudence by religating him to last…

• iagobrothers

★★★½

Crazy. Some parts have dated more than others but it's still great fun.

• Mike D'Angelo

80/100

Sure, I'd be happier were Allan Jones not in the movie. But people are generally way too hard on the MGM Marx Brothers films, treating anything short of full-on Duck Soup anarchy as unacceptably watered-down (to quasi-mix my food/beverage metaphors). Ignore all the filler—even Chico and Harpo's solo musical numbers, if you insist, though I personally enjoy those—and there's still a solid hour of uproarious comedy here, ranging from elaborate vaudeville-style routines like the horse-betting codebooks to just Groucho's…

• Alan Jarvis

★★★

Moments of bliss - more than worth watching for single scenes (Harpo and Chico keeping Groucho out of the arms of a woman repays endless re-watching). Less than the sum of its parts (seems pedantic to point this out!).

• Peter Gatt

★★★★½

As I said on my Night at the Opera review these two are my go to Marx Bros films over Duck Soup and they compliment each other and make a great double feature

• Keenan

★★★★

It has some weak moments, but overall it's hilarious. The Marx brothers are in peak form here.

• Peaceful Anarchy

★★★

Marx brothers films are always hit and miss for me and this one is no exception. There are some great jokes and even some of the slapstick is funny, but a significant portion of the comedy fell flat for me. Worst of all, the pacing is atrocious, the primary culprit being the interminable musical interludes.

• Mique Marz

★★★★

Not my favorite Marx brothers movie But at their worst they're better than anyone else.

• 8chan film

I watched A Day at the Races, the second Marx Bros. release for MGM. I've heard their worst Paramount movie is still better than their best MGM movie, yet all four I've seen are from MGM. I look forward to finally watching the "good stuff".

The film's plot is convoluted nonsense about winning a horse race to save a sanitarium that can't attract customers. Not a great long-term business strategy; I'm not sure why they didn't simply turn the sanitarium…