• Peter Gatt

★★★★½

As I said on my Night at the Opera review these two are my go to Marx Bros films over Duck Soup and they compliment each other and make a great double feature

• Keenan

★★★★

It has some weak moments, but overall it's hilarious. The Marx brothers are in peak form here.

• Peaceful Anarchy

★★★

Marx brothers films are always hit and miss for me and this one is no exception. There are some great jokes and even some of the slapstick is funny, but a significant portion of the comedy fell flat for me. Worst of all, the pacing is atrocious, the primary culprit being the interminable musical interludes.

• Mique Marz

★★★★

Not my favorite Marx brothers movie But at their worst they're better than anyone else.

• 8chan film

I watched A Day at the Races, the second Marx Bros. release for MGM. I've heard their worst Paramount movie is still better than their best MGM movie, yet all four I've seen are from MGM. I look forward to finally watching the "good stuff".

The film's plot is convoluted nonsense about winning a horse race to save a sanitarium that can't attract customers. Not a great long-term business strategy; I'm not sure why they didn't simply turn the sanitarium…

• Aron McGill

★★★

An enjoyable Marx film that was judged by critics at the time quite harshly for being what John T. McManus of The New York Times "a comparatively bad Marx". Again not without its problems, the musical number "All God's Chillun Got Rhythm" being first among them. A Day at the Races has become the Marx brothers most remembered film.

• Andrew Jupin

★★★½

The film features some incredible Marx Brothers' mayhem, but is derailed toward the end—as far as 2017 standards go—due to that unfortunate bit of black face at the end of that musical number in the barn.

Highlights include: Harpo destroying that piano, Chico and Groucho's gambling books bit, the examination scene in the hospital, and Harpo slaying that harp solo.

• FilmAnisa

★★★★

"Either my watch has stopped or this man is dead."
    I personally found it better than "A Night At The Opera" Groucho's Dr. Hackenbush was very entertaining and iconic. Chico is sweet and funny and Harpo's horns and harp playing skills never get old!

• Jamie Lawson

★★★½

Really funny whenever the brothers are allowed to just cause mayhem and crack wise, but the musical sequences are far too long, there's too much plot stuff, and the trio are less funny when they're being helpful and caring about shit. Definitely could have been a good half hour shorter too....and there's some racial stuff near the end that wouldn't fly nowadays. But flaws and all, it still had me laughing plenty.

• PaulLyons

★★★

What a strange, silly movie. This year I've grown to love the Marx Brothers, even though I rarely love the films they star in as a whole. Like their other pictures, Groucho, Chico, and Harpo Marx steal the show from their own movie, upstaging any semblance of structure, order, screenplay or plot. As a result, A DAY AT THE RACES is enjoyable despite itself, despite its effort to maintain story and, for lack of a better term, balance.

Directed by…

• Em

★★★½

I've never watched a Marx Brothers film in its entirety before, so this was an excellent introduction to their work for me. Most of the gags hold up, but one or two are definitely dated, most notably the use of blackface. The brothers totally sell the jokes with their consistently funny delivery, though I'm not sure I like Harpo's shtick.

• Greg_Wood

★★★★

directed by my great grandpa