• Franco

★★★★

Told through a series of flashbacks I could tell early on that this was based on a play. The film is a series of conversations where a character's background starts to become clear. His motives, enemies and complexities all come to a head. The movie is more than a WWII segregation era murder mystery where the investigator cannot get the cooperation his rank deserves. It's that but so much more. The black characters are fully drawn and do not fall…

• Mario

De las muchas películas sobre el mismo tema cuya única ventaja es ver a Denzel Washington joven.

• Cliff Galiher

SAW: at home

• anne_f_

★★★½

Set in Louisiana in 1944 we see the search for the murderer of a sergeant in a group of coloured soldiers. The man sent to investigate is a black officer (Howard Ellsworth Rollins, Jr.) who will have to deal with entrenched racism and hostility. To me the film didn't feel as if it was really 1944, I can't put my finger on why, but that made it difficult to believe in the story told which was a pity.

• Not Pauline Kael

This tense, wholehearted combination of melodrama and psychodrama is set in and around an Army base in Louisiana in 1944. A black drillmaster, Sergeant Waters (played, in flashbacks, by Adolph Caesar), has been murdered, and a black lawyer, Captain Davenport (Howard E. Rollins, Jr.)--the first black commissioned officer ever to be seen in this part of the country--has been sent down from Washington, D.C., to investigate. Charles Fuller (who did the adaptation of his A Soldier's Play) uses the structure…

• Jeff King

★★★★

Very strong Oscar entry that I knew nothing about going in. Also included a lot of actors I wasn't familiar with or who were very early in their careers. Fascinating to see Denzel and David Alan Grier in this so far back.

A harsh look at the nature of race in the military during World War II (and race more generally), a black non-commissioned officer is killed, and a black captain is called in to investigate. The captain, played extremely…

• Jonathan

★★★★½

The mystery into the murder of a black army sergeant and the stories that follow into his murder from the soldiers who might be a prime suspect. That's the story behind this crime drama entitled A Soldiers Story.

Set during World War II A Soldiers Story follows the death of Vernon Waters played by Adolph Caesar down south in Louisiana. A black officer in the command of black soldiers. All that is known the moment before he was killed was…

• kurtis

★★★½

Good story about the 40's soldier's. I felt it was a good account of how things were.

• Henrik Wilhelmsson

★★★½

Good enough story, good cast. Bad score.

• Keith Adams Jr.

Quickie Review
    Adapted from the stage production "A Soldier's Play", director Norman Jewison delivers a solid murder mystery with a well-assembled cast headed by Howard E. Rollins as a stoic military officer assigned to investigate the murder of a reviled sergeant (Adolph Caesar). The only problem with the movie is Herbie Hancock's score, which sometimes works with the tone of the film but other times it just has baffling cues that leaves someone scratching one's head. Still, "A Soldier's Story" is a riveting military mystery thriller.

• Bill Shannon

★★★

An intriguing enough mystery that has the pacing and feel of a TV movie. Its kind of like a cross between Rashomon and The Caine Mutiny, but made for the Hallmark channel.

There are strong performances by Rollins, Caesar and Denzel Washington, but the murder mystery at the heart of the story feels rushed and perfunctory. Jewison's framing and timing feels pedestrian. The story is brimming with racial tension, but that angle is undermined by cartoonish staging.

I'll bet the play upon which it is based is much better. It's well-written enough, but what is on film feels unworthy of Best Picture Nomination consideration.

• Raúl Cornejo