• jorgemol

★★★★

Evan Rachel Wood's rendition of "Blackbird" cleared my skin.

• Mark Gazica

★★½

I don't particularly like musicals. Or The Beatles. So I don't know why I watched this film.

Either way, Across The Universe is pretty much just one of those annoyingly long music videos with a bunch of unnecessary narrative bits thrown in for storytelling context. Except it's 2 hours and 13 minutes long and the narrative bits aren't very interesting and the music isn't too great either.

There were some cool set pieces, though, and the visual effects were pretty well done. But they're not enough to carry the film.

• vanesa429

★★½

a musical... ehhhh not a fan

• garbear

I saw most of this movie on a bus several years ago and I was really tired so none of it made any sense. Watching the whole thing and staying awake honestly didn't help all that much. It's not the worst thing, but I feel like listening to a playlist of the original Beatles songs would be more enjoyable and tell an equally cogent story.

• amilee

★★★★★

the I Want You (She's So Heavy) scene has slowly but surely become my favorite scene. can we talk about the fact that the soldiers are all makeup no cgi. im shook

• Emiftng

★★★★

This was so surprisingly good, the symbolic scenes throughout the film, it was magical(Strawberry Fields, am I right?), it takes you back there. This was a "fight with art" type of film.

Also the songs where admirable addition,they gave a heart to this film. I was never a big fan of many Beatles songs, I guess I never felt the songs, or considered their depth, at least not all of them. Now I'll definitely give them another try.

• fernanda

★★★½

john lennon and george harrison are rolling in their graves

• gimena

★★★★

when you think prudence is singing to the quarterback and then the camera focuses on the cheerleader...poetic cinema

• Marina Ruiz

★★★

I love the fucking songs

• Teddy Reginald

★½

"Jude, this is my sister, Lucy." – Max

As soon as I heard the characters names, I almost turned this thing off. It's the first of many, many problems in Across the Universe. Beyond the numerous cheesy moments and incredibly forced way of getting into song, the movie is incredibly stuffed.

You feel its runtime for the last hour and I kept noticing the number of scenes that could've been cut out to trim the movie. The entire psychedelic part…

• Chris Vallée

Good movie, but I still don't like the Beatles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Tiffany Baca

★★★½

A few years into broadening my cinematic knowledge, I've seen other movies who's symbolism and layers of meaning are far more subtle and less heavy-handed. With that said, the colors and most of the soundtrack are still doubtlessly splendid.