• Devon

★★★★

The back of the dvd says “...a fever-dream masterpiece....” and that’s exactly what this was.

• Sean Hillary

Cult Movie Challenge 2018
    Week 3 - Anime Week

Outside of the Ghibli stuff, it’s this and Ghost in the Shell mentioned when talking about great anime’s. So I’m happy to say that this is so much better than Ghost in the Shell. Weird, gruesome, thrilling.

• Nils Gloistein

★★★★½

What else is there to say? A Classic.

Akira makes for an overwhelming experience, from the first city shots to the incredibly use of light and a plot so dense that multiple viewings benefit the film that only japan could produce and only work in anime.

The plot is a real heavy hitter, which I like, you don’t get much exposition, you rather get dropped into this world and have to figure out yourself what is going on. We follow…

• Josh Rushing

★★★★★

A truncated adaptation of the director’s own manga magnum opus, the film version of Akira sacrifices narrative complexity for the sake of brevity. Many of the more lofty themes of the original work are here, but handled with subtlety, and they sometimes fall to the background of what is essentially a story of two young boys torn apart by circumstances outside of their control.
    Neo Tokyo might well be the most well-realized sci-fi setting in any animated feature, possibly rivaling…

• jrodxc19

★★★★★

Every frame, each scene is replaced with another breathtaking and beautiful moment. This film is a mental fucker and is pure eye candy. I love Neo-Tokyo and the pure atmosphere of the whole city and film. So many bad ass characters and awesome scenes. Beautiful and crazy dream haze of color and lights.

• DoctorPepper

★★★★½

I haven't watched this since high school. As someone who has seen plenty of anime and is willing to accept some of the weaker aspects of anime storytelling, I'm happy to grade this on a curve with a 4.5/5. I still enjoyed it immensely but the older me saw some flaws which I will nitpick below.

Viewing this outside of anime, you have to accept Akira as an exercise in style over substance and the style here executed very well.…

• mattbarrysucks

2018 Cult Movie Challenge
    Week 3: Anime Week

Akira is one of those special kind of stories that works exclusively as an anime. I could never imagine a live-action version of the visuals in this film. They are so trippy and iconic and they will stay with you for the rest of your life.

• Dominiki Kurz

i love you kei

• Jesse

★★★★½

Massively epic stuff. Maybe one of the best sci-fi movies ever, anime or not.

• Dan Jacobvitz

★★★★★

You know when there are certain Songs and TV shows that really effect you in a certain way? Well this is certainly one of them.

I have been a fan of this movie for a very long time and I just watched again recently. Its just as beautiful as I saw it the first time.

I dont think I'll get tired of watching this film.

Im rereading the Manga comics and im not a fan of Manga.

• Johnny Johnny Booker

★★★★★

Director Katsuhiro Otomo's 1988 anime Akira takes place in the year 2012 in Neo Tokyo following an event similar to the atomic bombs America dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. A boy named Akira is the subject of secret government experiments that give him access superhuman powers. Things get out of control when the government does the experiment on a biker named Tetsuo who becomes obsessed with his best friend's motorcycle and who has been picked on all his life for…

• Jeff Lehman

★★★★

watched once again for the annual A-beer-a festival