• Michaela

★★★★

texts i sent to andy while watching this:

-this flashback/dream scene when tetsuos like crumbling. kaneda i don’t feel so good
    -THE KIDS ARE SO CREEPY. well the one from the beginning of the movie makes me sad like his face...is sad
    -“YOU LOOK LIKE A DAMN CRACKHEAD”
    -this sound that plays all the time reminds me of bound 2
    -tetsuo has a disability?
    he doesn’t have an arm
    -OH MY GOD THJS IS NASTY
    -this giant meat monster: is…

• ChrisUbi

★★★★½

Went in expecting some futuristic biker gang shenanigans.

Went out feeling like I was in a fever dream.

• Karan

★★★★

Akira is one of the classic anime films and for good reason.

Akira boasts quite possibly the best score I've ever heard in an animated film. Each component of the sound in the film is masterful. The sound truly adds a tremendous amount to the film.

Equally as impressive are the extremely detailed visuals. The classic timeless animation is a treat for the eyes. The cyberpunk aesthetic is executed extremely well. This is one of the more visually appealing animated films ever released.

Overall, Akira is a great mature and detailed anime film.

Also, not quite sure I agree with Kanye on this one.

• Eliot PR

★★★★

it’s just so beauiful, and VERY different from the books

• Curtis

★★★★★

Visually and conceptually, Akira is a masterpiece.
    Right from the get-go, the world is established in great detail. You understand how it works, the hierarchy of it all, and the current social status. To say that this is one of the most immersive worlds in all of film is a definite understatement. The animation is gorgeous, some of the best i've seen in some instances, proving how timeless traditional 2D animation can be. It doesn't just stop at the animation…

• Alberto Purificación Pérez

★★★★★

Más de 5 estrellas no se puede no?

La he visto en VO y madre mía, como descubrí la de nuevo. Calidad de la pista de audio es apabullante y deja matices en los que no había caído. Son pequeños sonidos aquí y allá pero que dan otra visión al conjunto.

• KookieTB

★★★★½

Um... This was pretty wild. What a glorious, violent, disturbing fever-dream of an experience it was.

Every aspect of the production seemed tuned to perfection to me. They hand-drew 24 gorgeous frames per second for us, the absolute madmen; the level of detail in the animation is stunning. The music was really enjoyable too (the weird mouth/breath sounds stood out a lot).

An anime classic indeed.

• Agustí Garcia Vila

★★★★½

One of the best animated movies out there. Akira transports you to the cyberpunk world of Neo-Tokio. Kaneda, the leader of a gang of bikers searches for clues in order to find his friend Tetsuo, who's been kidnapped in a supernatural situation. They both will learn lots of things about Neo-Tokio, the future of the city and inhabitants, and the truth behind those strange feats.

This truly feels like a movie that begins beeing a slow paced mistery thriller to…

• SODIEPAPA

• David

★★★★★

Come for the futuristic motorcycles and neon-drenched cyberpunk vision of Tokyo, stay for the existential dread brought on by post-war ennui. Still one of the most sumptuous animated films ever made, even 30 years after its release.

• EdenBailey

★★★½

The narrative is just kind of a mash-up of other, better sci-if films (Superman, Star Wars, and 2001 are the first that come to mind). I will say that I admired the way it plays its story down, when it could very easily go over the top. One of the consequences of this, though, is that I don’t remember any of the characters’ names.

Stylistically, though, I can see what all the hubbub is about. Akira is a 21st century…

• Risa

I watched this as part of an anime course at uni, and when it came time to try to analyze this movie, I thought my brain was going to explode. This movie may seem like it's trying to go in all directions at once with the post war symbolism, commentary about masculinity, and messages about the obsession with childhood. And oddly enough, when you look at the characters and their motivations, its hard to identify what exactly is going on.…