• Selene

everything begins and ends at exactly the right place and time

• linda

★★½

que filme doido...

• Rachu

Wtf.

• ASAPaspossible

★★★

Kind of like Donnie Darko, but more boring. I’d take a whole film of just those landscape shots and the nostalgia-inducing scenes of every day Japan, though.

Another film I haven’t loved that was a bit light on plot and very heavy on vibe.

6/10

• Harmony Korean

Very special

The soundtrack holds such a special place in my heart since i made a project based on the movie ost album, specifically without wind by kenjirou matsuo. Was honestly disappointed to see that it never actually appears in the movie. Its used for the  credits in a much subtler way tho. Still, remarkable sequences, very very beautiful sceneries, just great for what it is.

• mrmerlotmovies

★★★★½

This movie is a perfect escape, it feels like a led meditation with synthesizers leading you through scenes of perfect dives, motorcycles sliding through urban jungle dense, dense forests harboring secrets of the unknown, teenage love and loss, probing the unknown and having it grab back. A real movie lovers trip! Take the plunge.

• ArmanN

Vibe over character, plot, image. Mostly dull and incoherent, like a Japanese Donnie Darko but somehow even dumber.

• Christian Molenaar

Gabapentin Megadose: The Movie

Starts with teen hangout vibes while gesturing at something grander through elegant compositions and breathtaking crane shots before breaking away from any conventions of storytelling to embrace something truly cosmic. The "stone disease" slowly overtaking the town feels straight out of Junji Ito, but Ishii takes this material in a completely unique, New Age-adjacent direction. The way he frames nature as the ultimate sci-fi special effects spectacle is so beyond moving it's just unfair.

• Dio

★★★★

The score for this is like listening to waves on the shore. Ethereal film.

• T. Hotspur

★★½

I think the film is a beautiful representation of the summer of life using the bizarre, the mystical, and the alien. But the summer of life must end, and youth isn't a paradise to return to. But I think it admits that the summer brings drought and changing of seasons will bring rain.

I don't really find the metamorphosis narrative that compelling, and i like tragedy more than reward many times. But I see its contribution and i like the…

• Raktim

★★★★★

Original Title: みずのなかのはちがつ (Mizu no naka no hachigatsu)

Translation: August in the water

What starts as a rom-com of sorts is transformed into a journey to the supernatural. Ishii shows surprising stillness in direction, showing his versatility. However, his innovativeness never completely vanishes; like flashes of thunder it arrives, adding to the imaginativeness of the audience. This is a film which grips the audience from the get-go, and never loosens the grip. Even through multiple false climaxes, where the grip…

• Alyssa Ciamp

★★★★

gorgeous atmospheric pre-Y2K flick w/ great music

slow build but worth it.

Loved all the astrology bits :,)