• TJ D

★★★½

Bong's first film is still quite good, showcasing his talent as a filmmaker, mixing tones with ease. This is a comedy, and it's disturbing--who else could make a film where a guy murders dogs and it be cringy and hilarious?

Also, this film is heartwarming, which is the biggest boon of all.

• sophie b

★★★★★

every time a watch a new bong joon ho film i grow to love him mroe and more

• Robert Schneider

★★½

I knew not everything Bong Joon-ho made would be great

• Jonny Numb

An unfunny premise (passive grad student with self-doubts about his career trajectory kidnaps barking dog that's driving him nuts) is given an unfunny, Coen-esque execution. The manufactured Quirk tries to overachieve in the most ham-fisted way possible. No star rating because I gave up after a laugh-free hour. Fast coming to the realization that Joon-ho Bong's non-"Snowpiercer" movies really aren't for me.

• BrunoLD

Spanish/English Review:
    Divertida comedia negra en la que un hombre que odia a los perros ve como su urbanización (en la que están prohibidos), se está llenando de ellos. Los vecinos ocultan a sus mascotas, ya que podrían ser multados, pero los ladridos les delatan; harto de oirles ladrar Lee decide quitarselos a sus dueños sin que se enteren y después matarlos.

Yo con esta película me río mucho, me hace gracia el protagonista comportándose como un lunatico, intentando pillar…

• Steve Carver

★★★★

Similar to Antonioni's Blow-Up, PTA's Inherent Vice, or just about any given Coen brothers movie, there is a good, well-thought out plot in this movie, and yet the plot is not the focal point. The focal point is the characters. Bong Joon-ho's feature-length debut may be one of the most fleshed-out movies I have ever seen. Every character feels like their own person. All their motivations feel legitimate. Every encounter feels real. And this extends beyond the characters, too. Every…

• Kendell

Doona Bae is perfect

• danbowl

★★★★

Ok bong either be my father or my boyfriend you choose.

God I'm disgusting.

• Sid Taylor

★★★★

Barking Dogs Never Bite is a strong feature debut from one of my favourite directors Bong Joon-Ho. You can see how he experiments with narrative and tonal elements of film and how he would utilise this in his later works such as The Host and Memories of Murder.

Like all of Bong's films, he effortlessly and seamlessly travels through different and often polarised tones. In The Host you watch a family mourn over the death of a young girl and…

• J.V. Jowett

★★★★

A lot to unpack in this tight little drama. The surface level plot about annoying dogs that deserve to be thrown off buildings leads way to a contemplation of poverty, the random chance of death, and companionship. I watched it thinking that this wouldn't be able to live up to Bong's later work, as it lacks the genre-film intrigue that first drew me to him, but surprisingly I found myself enthralled by it. The film has devilish sense of humor that I think permeates all of Bong's work and it's nice to see where exactly that all started.

• Steven Cohen

★★★½

For a first feature, Bong Joon-ho's Barking dogs never bite is pretty self-assured. Lee Sung-jae and Bae Doona star as a couple of unfulfilled burgeoning adults connected by an apartment block and a search for a yapping dog. Bong and his co-writers create a small ensemble of memorable characters living and working in the building, and Bong realizes at least a few exciting sequences. Barking dogs never bite is perhaps not as good as the movies Bong goes on to make, but it's a great debut. Plus, anything with Bae Doona is worth watching.

• Finn

★★★½

really solid first feature. bae doona is great. more movies need to take a five minute break just to have someone who's really good at telling ghost stories tell a really good ghost story