• bananut

★★★★½

I love how grounded in reality Bongs movies are. Sometimes it's the small things that make a movie great.

• PadulaMateo

★★★★

que increíble este coreanito loco

• Randall West

★★★★

The fifteen minute resolution after Doona Bae's rooftop-confetti-dog-rescue is a tad belabored, but the action preceding it is so delightful it's hard to be upset with the prolonged coda. Like the Hong Kong filmmakers before them, South Korean directors have managed to revitalized the art of the visual gag, and almost every laugh here is earned through editing, framing, or blocking (or all-the-above). I was hooked after the opening sequence clearly set up an obvious gag (spoiler: it was clearly…

• Alex

★★★

Pretty slow and quite boring, this is Bong Joon-ho's first film so i wasn't expecting it to blow me away. It has an interesting concept but the comedy just never hit for me. It is well shot though.

• Matt Fisher

★★½

The #1 technique for me to check-out emotionally from a movie is show mistreatment of animals, especially pets. There's basically a 100% chance that I won't find it amusing or interesting or worthy of my attention and I'll put up a barrier between me and everything I see and judge the movie on a purely clinical basis.

This was a well directed movie.

• Sara Foss

★★★

Bong Joon-ho's debut is bursting with creativity and dark humor. It's also a bit exhausting.

• anoopchag

★★★½

What an awesome directorial debut from one of my favorite Korean filmmakers.

This movie is so genuinely laugh out loud funny and charming that even when its flaws are apparent (weird editing / score and an overall "amateurish" feel), you can't help but smile along for the whole ride.

If Jahziel hasn't already seen this one, let's make sure he never does because god knows what kind of awful inspiration he might receive from this dog hating flick.

• MRT0AST

★★★½

All the other films I've seen from Bong Joon-Ho were better than this, but as a debut feature, it's damn solid and well-conceived. One can see the bizarre humor and quirky character types of The Host in rough form here.

• Zombaid

★★★★

...but the pregnant Woman at home sure does!

If you watch the debut of Bong Joon-ho you'll see the birth of one of the Korean Cinema Masters of Today!(Na Hong-Jin, Bong Joon-ho, Kim Jee-woon, Chan-wook Park)

Just with such a funny easiness he tales his stories and throws normal credible people in the middle of it.
    They don't know how to react to the situations and mostly me neither.
    You just cannot expect what happens next and that's what i…

• mlcgs34

★★★★½

Last Bong Joon ho film I have yet to see and it did not disappoint . Some great chase scenes and where the film goes with its characters are interesting. The dark comedy works and is pretty funny as well.

• TAKAWIRA

★★★★★

is that your dog?
    let's eat it together

• NLevey

★★★★

I watched this a few years back and am just writing this to remind myself to watch it again.