• lostinlimbo

★★★½

Everything but the kitchen sink martial arts spectacle from the Shaw Brothers. Messy plotting and inter-changeable characters,
    but remains daftly entertaining. The title character would give the glamour rock group Kiss a run for their money in the face make-up
    stakes. Loved the look of these type of presentations with thick atmospherics and vivid set-designs. Some creative horror shades
    too. But still, it's the amazingly outlandish and imaginative acrobats that kept me glued. I still prefer the director's "The Magic Blade" over it.

• Matt Reifschneider

#Shawtember

The big problem that hinders the horror wuxia hybrid of Bat Without Wings is that it lacks significant character development for its heroes. Oddly enough, there is quite a bit of character pieces laid out for its titular villain, but Derek Yee's wandering swordsman who is caught up in the return of the Bat is horrendously underwritten. Fortunately, the film uses a lot of horror visual pieces and savage concepts to give it a fresh spin on a relatively repetitive wuxia formula and it has a lot of great twists and turns in its plot to keep audiences hooked.

• Boost

★★★

This wuxia is "based on a novel by the late Taiwanese author Huang Ying and could be considered a macabre martial arts mystery of sorts."
    -Mark Pollard
    What stands out the most is the use of Gene Simmons makeup. It also features Joker's lethal laughing gas. Complicated plot, mediocre swordplay. For fans of Kiss and Shaw Brothers.

• Lily Ho

★★★½

Bat Without Wings is a fantasy wu xia pian - swordsplay film - by Chor Yuan. In fact the film is easily a typical the style of his films : multitude of characters, fantasy/magic contents giving some mysterious feeling (adding the constant fog and even some kind of horror/ghost aspects), linked sub-stories with conspiricies, betrayals and plot twists, the importance of the set design and even in the way it's shot (sometimes the characters are shot in backround surrounded in…

• Sean Frost

★★½

I gave up trying to follow all of the double-crosses and reveals, and I sat back to let the crazy just wash over me. A silly good time was had by me.

• Joe

★★★★

When I first saw this about a year and a half ago I think I described it as being akin to a "Mario Bava Shaw Brothers movie." That description isn't inaccurate but it also ignores the fact that way too much of this movie is standard vaguely confusing Shaw Brothers walking around and talking. Still, you have to accept a little bit of that as just part of the form, and once you do you'll see a pretty entertaining and interesting kung fu movie, with lots of horror movie atmosphere on the side.

• louisp

★★★★★

anytime guys fight with giant pitchforks im sold

• Alan Dorich

★★★

Enjoyable action madness from the Shaw Brothers that features a villain who wears makeup like a member of KISS, a helping of gore and a finale where people fight as they go insane. What's not to like?