• Laurence Harvey

★★★½

Superior martial arts pulp mystery with horror elements.

• Christopher Clayton

★★★

I appear to be on a bit of a Chor Yuen kick! It wasn't a journey I'd intended on taking but, hey, I'm here now and I'm noticing the man's directorial hallmarks as more of his movies meet my eyes. If you're hoping for a slice of mildly spooky, plot-twisty fun, you came to the right place. You won't always understand it but you'll enjoy where it's taking you throughout.

What's in store for you this time is a story…

• Maxvayne

★★★★½

In another one of Shaw Brothers bizarre colorful epics you have a mystical demon wearing Kiss makeup, a severed talking head, fantastic fighting, fog machines (of course!), poisonous ponds, Taoist magic, a booby-trapped island, and one story full of twist and turns.

Absolute fun!

• PRY

★★★½

The most Bava-esque Shaw Bros production I've witnessed. Crazy lighting, major theatrics, and wild plotting all kind of gets jumbled up in a frantic mess of trident fighting and glowing swords.

Well worth a watch.

AND WHAT A POSTER!!!

• lostinlimbo

★★★½

Everything but the kitchen sink martial arts spectacle from the Shaw Brothers. Messy plotting and inter-changeable characters, but remains daftly entertaining. The title character would give the glamour rock group 'Kiss' a run for their money in his face make-up stakes. Loved the inspired looks of these type of presentations with thick atmospherics and vivid set-designs. Some creative horror shades too. But still, it's the amazingly outlandish and imaginative acrobats that kept me glued. This is good fun, but I still prefer the director's other Kung-fu feature "The Magic Blade" over it.

• Matt Reifschneider

#Shawtember

The big problem that hinders the horror wuxia hybrid of Bat Without Wings is that it lacks significant character development for its heroes. Oddly enough, there is quite a bit of character pieces laid out for its titular villain, but Derek Yee's wandering swordsman who is caught up in the return of the Bat is horrendously underwritten. Fortunately, the film uses a lot of horror visual pieces and savage concepts to give it a fresh spin on a relatively repetitive wuxia formula and it has a lot of great twists and turns in its plot to keep audiences hooked.

• Boost

★★★

This wuxia is "based on a novel by the late Taiwanese author Huang Ying and could be considered a macabre martial arts mystery of sorts."
    -Mark Pollard
    What stands out the most is the use of Gene Simmons makeup. It also features Joker's lethal laughing gas. Complicated plot, mediocre swordplay. For fans of Kiss and Shaw Brothers.

• Lily Ho

★★★½

Bat Without Wings is a fantasy wu xia pian - swordsplay film - by Chor Yuan. In fact the film is easily a typical the style of his films : multitude of characters, fantasy/magic contents giving some mysterious feeling (adding the constant fog and even some kind of horror/ghost aspects), linked sub-stories with conspiricies, betrayals and plot twists, the importance of the set design and even in the way it's shot (sometimes the characters are shot in backround surrounded in…

• Sean Frost

★★½

I gave up trying to follow all of the double-crosses and reveals, and I sat back to let the crazy just wash over me. A silly good time was had by me.

• Joe

★★★★

When I first saw this about a year and a half ago I think I described it as being akin to a "Mario Bava Shaw Brothers movie." That description isn't inaccurate but it also ignores the fact that way too much of this movie is standard vaguely confusing Shaw Brothers walking around and talking. Still, you have to accept a little bit of that as just part of the form, and once you do you'll see a pretty entertaining and interesting kung fu movie, with lots of horror movie atmosphere on the side.

• louisp

★★★★★

anytime guys fight with giant pitchforks im sold

• Alan Dorich

★★★

Enjoyable action madness from the Shaw Brothers that features a villain who wears makeup like a member of KISS, a helping of gore and a finale where people fight as they go insane. What's not to like?