• Nanba_Mutta

★★★★

الحياة في مدينة برلين الألمانية في يوم من الأيام، وإيقاع الحياة اليومية منذ أقرب فرصة من شروق الشمس حتى الليل

• Shane Brashear

★★★★

The wild editing and music (the Olympia Chamber Orchestra was in this version that I heard) reminded me a little of Koyaanisqatsi a little. The chaotic arrival of a train hooked me, and then my eyes were glued to this thing. Typewriter dizziness followed by monkeys, fun animatronics in shop windows, the innards of factory machines, traffic, the hustle and bustle of pedestrian and vehicle traffic. I don't know what it reveals about Berlin, apparently a great city, unless the…

• Brock Ferlaak

★★★½

These “city symphony” movies really had cutting down to an art. Ruttman proves his thesis about the movement of life through cuts alone. We really believe our lives are moving too fast, but we don’t get that this is an age-old problem, as showcased here in this film almost a century old. How far we have descended

• rjtougas

★★★★½

Berlin in five acts and one day. An astonishing array of footages, from sleepy, early morning hours to commerce and industry, from midday dining and rest to nighttime sport, recreation, and leisure, from children to the elderly, from affluence to poverty. Wonderfully constructed, briskly paced, and always fascinating, I could watch this time capsule again and again and never grow tired of it. Hooray for city symphonies!

• iury

★★★★

Já aqui, vemos direções inúmeras. É sempre o trem. O início, o meio e o fim, e o movimento de ida e volta entre eles.

• Nevaq

★★★

A tight little lump of finely chopped city footage of interwar Berlin. Just about what you'd expect from whatever tin description you read - a 'day in the life' take on the city of Berlin. We see leisure, work, rest, travel and other assorted activities and quirks of the city, following the progression of the day from morning to night.

As historical footage, this is gold. This gives a kind of potted, accessible window into another time, and how life…

• Caracortada

Die Sinfonie einer Großstadt. Besser lässt es sich diese thematisch geordnete Ansammlung von Impressionen Berlins nicht beschreiben.
    Ruttmann's Film ist weder ein Spielfilm, noch eine Dokumentation, sondern eine mit der Montage-Technik erstellte Kollektion an lebendig und elegant gefilmten Szenerien eines Berliner Tages. Schnell verliert man sich in den Bildern, die mal dicht befahrene Straßen zeigen, spielende Kinder oder Männer die in Fabriken arbeiten.
    Diese sehr spezielle Zeit in Deutschland vor dem Nazi-Horror und den Grauen des zweiten Weltkrieges übt eine…

• Jessica Moore

★★★

softboi of silent films
    3 stars for the american beauty style rustling white paper bit at the beginning

• WaaDoku

★★★★½

The original Man With Movie Camera (1929). Dziga Vertov inspired film that inspired Dziga Vertov.

• orapedulijeneng

keep it joy by visual and musical medium. dunno understand the music visual in the after ending credit.

• Leem

boy oh boy, berlin sure is a city alright

• Matthew Lucas

★★★★½

Walther Ruttmann's BERLIN: SYMPHONY OF A GREAT CITY (1927) was something of a reaction to the heavily stylized German Expressionist movement that was such a major influence on German cinema in the 1920s. Carl Mayer (THE LAST LAUGH), drawing inspiration for the Kammerspiel movement, which took a more naturalistic look at lower-middle class German life, conceived a "melody of pictures" that would pay tribute to the daily life in the city.

While the Kammerspiel movement was short-lived, its adherents included…