• dsst

huh

• EliaN

½

A movie the invoke Kubrick and the 70's, 80's horror sci-fi films, definitely an attempted throw back to that era. Does it succeed? Yes and No, it's Kubrick-esque, yes it's got interesting visuals, and a soundtrack to match. But it's not really a movie, it's more like a really neat screen-saver with sound. For me, it's painfully slow and rarely does it pick up. It's very methodical movie in it's soundtrack, it's visuals, it's a very tripped out experimental movie.…

• KrazyKritic

A prime example for how a film can be incredibly stylish only to fall under the weight of its own ambition. The plot at first seems pretty intriguing but ultimately goes nowhere. The visuals and soundtrack create a great atmosphere but the film grows very self-indulgent very quickly. By half-way through, scenes of virtually nothing happening are pointlessly stretched out. The final quarter in particular was a real slog which honestly caused quite a lot of aggravation. What could have been an artistic experience ended up as a sheer test of endurance. Points for effort but highly disappointing overall.

• Dale Raulerson

★★★½

About five minutes into Beyond the Black Rainbow I was prepared to fall in love with it. The only writing or directing credit of Panos Cosmatos is a visual feast, fill with color, surreal makeup effects and hauntingly sterile environments. The soundtrack has some killer synth work and moody electronic ambience that I'm a total sucker for. It's stylish and even a splash Lovecraftian at its core.

It's also kind of fucking boring.

There are moments of pure brilliance to…

• Tea Kingley

★★★½

man i don't know what the fuck i just watched but i kinda liked it

• Mark Gubarenko | Марк Губаренко

Бля пиздец. Что за хуйня. Выключил через 40 минут. Их то вытерпел из-за приятного саундтрека и того как снято.

• Chris Upson

images & sound sure are interesting but never arresting or smart enough to justify all the glacial movement & general obscurity. the collusion of surreal with jarring normality at the end - a couple bros cracking open a cold one interrupted by skinhead barry and the onset of violence was great. and made an excellent full-stop to an otherwise vague & baroque sentence about toxic, possessive love / and the breakout freedom from it, but none of that could justify the rest 4 me. cya

• Gavin Jhune Rivera

★★★★

Despite its uneven pacing and horrible slo-mo, Beyond the Dark Rainbow scores when it comes to its surreal imagery, colorized and atmospheric cinematography, its synthetic music and themes of religion and social control

a e s t h e t i c s

HMU if you wanna watch this film with no volume and blast synthetic 80's inspired music

• Jackson Goodman

★★★★

A fantastic homage to the creativity and taste of a bygone era of horror.

• ricmario

Soy un amante de este tipo de películas: paso lento, tramas muy abstractas, y elementos que rayan en lo bizarro; especialmente directores como David Lynch o Stanley Kubrick.

Beyond The Black Rainbow tiene todos estos elementos, entonces ¿por qué no me gustó? Realmento no encuentro una respuesta concreta, pues simplemente no me gustó y ya.

Pasada la primera hora sentí que tenía una eternidad viendola, como si fuera una especie de tortura. El ritmo es extremadamente lento; esto no hace…

• Matty Stanfield

★★★

Panos Cosmatos' film features an outstanding synth-score, cinematography and innovative production design. It also seems to have a familiar yet solid plot. The problem is the trance-like pacing. It requires a bit more patience than it should, but this is good film.

• Corey Bussey

★★★½

It’s been awhile since my last review, spent a month with family in December but I also got to sit down and watch a ton of movies I’ve been meaning to watch for awhile and this one was one of the ones on top of the list.

First of all I didn’t know up until recently that this was a Canadian film, in that I have to sort of give it big ups for that.

Watching the trailer for this…