• Mileva Mazniku

★★★½

''No I cannot be a nun, for I am so fond of pleasure.''
    Like looking at Mr Dean's thigh, for instance.

• theleopard

★★½

It amazes me these guys directed the greatest movie ever made in the English language ( The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp ) when I find their other movie barely passable or watchable... Except for The Red Shoes. It worked despite its directors

Black Narcissus is a movie about nuns opening a convent in the Himalayas, but feelings for a Brittish guy cause one of the sisters to have a nervous breakdown and run amuck in the third act...…

• chrimas15

★★★

Not sure what to make of this

• _paul

[identity, religion, romance, desire, constraint]

Powell and Pressburger's incredible stylistic energy feels wasted here. The fact that this is set in the Himalayas adds absolutely nothing to the narrative but ethnocentric oriental exoticism. The indigenous characters are framed as either child-like or non-human extensions of environment. Why not just set this in rural Ireland or something?

• jimbooney

★★★½

They have small horses in the Himalayas.

• Eric Eidelstein

★★★★★

A slant rhyme for y'all:

Before the Pope was ever young
    There were a couple of horny nuns.

• franklesby

★★★★★

Beautiful, complicated, sensuous movie. Sister Ruth unhinged - succumbing - final musical sequence. Gorgeous

• Daniel Slack

Black Narcissus is a slow burning thriller and a compelling exploration of self-censorship--both in terms of behaviour and thought. In such, this narrative sees a group of nuns move into a 'palace' in the Himalayas, one which will now serve as their new convent. Once here they are told of a group of brothers who also tried to spread their religious teachings to the village surrounding the palace, but quickly failed, upped and left. What's more, this 'palace' used to…

• schwanensee

Just nuns havin' fun.

• TheMarkle

★★★★½

This film contains one of most beautiful representations of madness I have ever seen. Immediately after watching I was not convinced if I liked the film as a whole, but after reflecting for a few days I came to realise that yes, this is a masterpiece. A slow burn with an incredible ending.

• Jesse Stringer

★★★★★

A painting in 24fps. Black Narcissus is a visual marvel from its hand-painted backdrops, to its incredible use of color lighting. Beyond that it's a fascinating study on sexual repression. The mounting tension that builds upon itself in every scene explodes into a genuinely unnerving climax, one both frightening and deeply tragic. Powell and Pressburger were clearly ahead of their time as filmmakers, and Black Narcissus is further proof of this. To make such statements on religion, specifically the Catholic…

• PuRock

★★★½

Black Narcissus didn't floor me like some of Powell & Pressburger's other films. However, I found the cinematography and production value absolutely incredible, especially when considering most of the film was shot on a set using large paintings as back drops. Technicolor at its finest.

The idea of nuns stationed in a Himalayan valley is certainly intriguing. But it never fully connected with me on a emotional level. It becomes slightly forgettable because of this. Point in case, I didn't realized I've seen this before (in 2010) until I went to log this film. Hopefully it sticks around longer upon a re-watch.