• Dan Larson

★★★★

Beautiful production and epic story. Amazing this is from 1947.

• ed

so fucking beautiful.

• Duncan Vicat-Brown

★★★★★

- how is this the horniest film about nuns ever
    - how did no one get an Oscar for this
    - how did Kathleen Byron, the most terrifying motherfucker alive, specifically not get an Oscar for this
    - how did they make a film look this good in 1947
    - HOW WAS THIS SHOT AT PINEWOOD. HOW DID THEY LITERALLY FAKE A CONVENT IN THE HIMILAYAS AT PINEWOOD
    - how do I go about making Mrs. Danvers vs. Sister Ruth: Final Justice

• Focus

★★★★½

What did I just watch? Was this actually made in 1947? I don't think P&P are time travelers but this makes me a bit skeptical. This is possibly one of the best uses of technicolor I have ever seen and could pass as a film made in this 80s+. Beautiful painted backdrops and a marvelous setting makes for one great viewing experience. A story that unfolds at a perfect pace into a suspenseful final act. Highly recommended but I'm sure anybody familiar with P&P already have this on their watchlist or have seen it already. I am late to this party.

• PanAch

★★★★

Ένα από τα εικαστικά αριστουργήματα της 7 ής τέχνης με χρώματα που ξεπερνούν τη φαντασία , υιοθετώντας όμως τις παθογένειες της ιστορικής εποχής του

• Ren Allen

★★★★

everyone else has original opinions, but i have nun

• Theo

★★★★★

Isolation, lust, faith: these are the key themes of Black Narcissus. But beyond its engaging story is a superbly crafted motion picture.

Much has been said of the gorgeous technicolor visuals, and fairly so. The richly detailed costuming and environment is like candy for the eye. The sets, the painted backdrops, the props all pop beautifully.

The performances are all quite good, and even surprisingly nuanced for the time. Better than a lot of the melodramas that emerged after the war.

I've still got the image of the ghoulish Sister Ruth attacking Sister Clodagh in my head. That's a damn good sign for a film.

• geoffreyjar

Is there a movie with better (color) cinematography than this one?* I mean with the maybe the exception of THE RED SHOES? Even then I think talking about the movies amazing technical merits takes away from how great this movie is as a story/drama. Makes me feel like I really should not be 'one of those' and support more dramas. It's a shame, and I AM part of the problem I'll admit, that dramas are regulated to Oscar-baiting or considered…

• Jamie Roberts

★★★★

Jack Cardiff is the king of technicolor.

There's basically no location shooting. That's all backdrops. Visually and technically, this is an astounding movie.

• Derick Bennett

★★★★½

Technicolor marvel from Powell and Pressburger. Sumptuously shot at Pinewood Studios, it's incredibly good at making you think it was shot on location in the Himilayas, such is the richness of the sets and (painted) backdrops. Slow to start but once the plot gathers pace and the themes explored come to the forefront it gets pretty gripping.

In terms of the Powell and Pressburger filmography, it's not as good as The Red Shoes but then again... Very few things are.

• StrangeLoop

TECHNICOLOR FOR EVER!

• george the beast

★★★★★

Σε μεγάλη οθόνη όπως του πρέπει, αλλά δυστυχώς στο ντινζιταλ "σπάει" το πιξελ του μοντάζ και κάποια πλάνα "χάνουν" στιγμιαία , το μελόδραμα είναι ξεπερασμένο αλλά παρόλο αυτά μιλάμε για ένα αριστούργημα που ένα νεώτερο κοινό μπορεί να το κουράσει σε σημεία αλλά υπάρχουν σκηνές που σου καρφώνονται για χρόνια.
    Υγ1 αυτό που ήθελα να δω στο καπάκι ηταν η Ρεβέκκα.
    Υγ2 μετά από ένα γρήγορο διάλογο αποφασίσαμε ότι είμαι η αγια αγκανα