• Tim64

★★★★½

Crazy good. Those haunting eyes...

• nhall182

★★★★★

A viewing of Black Narcissus is an awakening, a slap in the face where you wonder why the hell one hadn't seen it to this point. The power of its magestic and glorious photography with its tense psychological eroticism culminates in a harrowing and astounding accomplishment. It left me shellshocked.

• John Wilders

Man it's good. An intensely psychological film with such rich characters. Also interesting that it's a film about nuns that absolutely isn't about religion at all. Has one of the best shock/reveal moments in any film ever.

• Peaceful Anarchy

★★★★

Who would have thought I'd like a movie about a group of nuns in India? My natural apprehension towards the subject probably hampered my enjoyment a bit, but for the most part I found it quite fresh and surprisingly captivating. Kerr is superb but the other actors do a fantastic job with their roles, both the nuns and the townspeople. The Powell and Pressburger view of humanity and superb use of colour really give the film an edge.

• Jarrod White

★★★★½

Obviously the cinematography is brilliant -- I've largely been of the opinion that a lot of Powell & Pressburger's brilliance (as it has been prescribed) was not so much their own but Cardiff's. Of the Powell / Pressburger / Cardiff triptych trilogy (the other two films A Matter of Life And Death, and The Red Shoes) Black Narcissus is likely my favorite: leaner, meaner and much more challenging.

Sister Clodagh. Oh god. I don't know if my empathizing with Sister Ruth…

• GarrickD

★★★★½

One of the most gorgeously photographed movies I've ever seen.

• okcordero

Scavenger Hunt 23
    Task #16: "Movie that questions religious beliefs"

There's a shot towards the end of the film feat. Sister Ruth that made me audibly gasp and that's pretty much how this film made me feel. Between the bold/vibrant colors, the camerawork, and the artful use of space and closeups, the Archers just knew how to use visuals to evoke a response without a word being uttered. And much like The Red Shoes, the visuals start mildly and get…

• Nigel

★★★★½

One of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen. Jack Cardiff is amazing. My only objection is Jean Simmons in brown face.

• Stephen Pollett

★★★★½

Desire vs prohibition in technicolor. One of the greatest British films ever made and certainly one of the most beautiful films made anywhere. To learn it was shot in studio and not on location boggles the mind.

• victorialinares

★★★★

Mi familia es católica. Tengo una prima que a los 9 u 11 años (no recuerdo bien) fue llevada a un convento en Brasil para nunca volver. Me he hecho varias películas en mi cabeza de como es su vida y como sería si hubiera continuado la vida común. Estoy clara de que nunca se me hubiera ocurrido semejante melodrama. La rutina mata al igual que la ausencia de una libertad que ya probaste. La lejanía de la ciudad suele…

• sam schulte

★★★★

you can devote yourself to god, spend half your life in a convent, and travel to the farthest reaches of the earth, but you will never escape your own desires, envy, memories.

ace photography. pretty sultry for a movie about nuns.

• rossmclochness

★★★½

Visually one of the most captivating films I've ever seen. I've never seen a movie from the 40s look like it was shot in 2017.
    The images are stunning, but when it comes down to it, it's simply a nun drama. It takes a LONG time for any conflict to arise, and when it does, it's incredibly forced. I was expecting at the very least I could get some supernatural nun shit, but no it's just that the nuns have the hots for the local hot Brit man.