• Argie Ebofin

★★★½

Expected wacky hilarity from Taika Watiti. Instead, found a bleak, deeply upsetting coming of age tale. Might have cried

I was NOT emotionally ready for this

• Chelsea

★★★★

Loved it just as much this time as I did last time! Taika is brilliant.

• Jeffrey Overstreet

★★★★

Perhaps as pure a distillation of that inimitable quality called "Taika Waititi" as we could hope to see, Boy is a joy from beginning to to end to end-credits surprises.

As effortlessly and genuinely eccentric as Napoleon Dynamite, as heartfelt as Moonrise Kingdom, as New Zealand-y as Whale Rider, Boy is as strong as, if not stronger than, Hunt for the Wilderpeople in its fusion of comedy, family drama, and magical realism.

I'm really surprised that it hasn't come to…

• Roger Ebert
  • dalynie

★★★★½

there's a lot of movies you watch, and you see they're trying very hard to make it feel human but it never quite gets there. taika's movies are so incredibly, genuinely human that it hurts.

+ the soundtrack for this was So amazing.

• marianne pouliot

hi taika i want to be you when i grow up

• Thad_Lamar

★★★½

Covers familiar subject matter, but Taika Waititi’s signature mixture of heart and humor is very evident here.

• E_R_Quinn

★★★★½

Boy is a funny, charming and emotional film. It has a beautiful visual style with a simple but well executed story. Boy is all about imagination, expectations and taking responsibility. These three themes are incorporated perfectly into the film and they drive the main plot of the story; some of these themes are shown to us through visual imagery. For example a set of deer antlers positioned above a throne represent taking responsibility for your past; another example of this…

• nimrit

★★★★★

Every single Taika Waititi film I have watched gets better and better and Boy seems to be my favourite so far. Weirdly, it's a feel good movie, mainly because of the characters: Boy and Rocky. The entire movie was seamlessly strung together with incredible shots, music and writing.

Taika Waititi is a master at what he does.

• Luke

★★★★★

A beautiful, funny and emotional film. Pure gold.

• vic

★★★★

thinking of getting a back tattoo that says "IM A EGG"

• Sander Dammann

Letterboxd Seaon Challenge

Week 5

What a fantastic film! The humour is typical Waititi and I adore it. Love the fact that it is sad and funny at the same time.

I can't really say nothing more about it, other than it is a cute and poignant film about Boy growing up in New Zealand. Go watch it!