• Tim Schroeder

★★★½

Very unique tone. Happy/Sad, I suppose that is Waititi's speciality. I really liked that, despite the tone, it never pandered to the audience, and let this rather complicated dynamic between father and son play out as it did.

• Gabie Driver

★★★★½

I'm actually floored by how far Boy surpassed my expectations. No one but Taika could tow the line between shy comedy and deep family drama so deftly.

As someone with a deadbeat runaway dad, this hit my heart especially hard. I won't go too deep into it, but these characters, circumstances, and feelings are too real, too sincere, to be imagined.

And that's probably the biggest triumph, that nothing is out of proportion - it's truth in comedy at its…

• mounteerie

★★★★

An immensely enjoyable slice of life film. Unique, genuine, quirky, delightful, joyous, funny, heartbreaking, distinct and personal. A gem.

• alex alex

taika waititi digs for 87 minutes

• uhlissuhgee

★★★★½

Taika plays a sad bad dad and I'm here for it

• Muriel

★★★★

TAIKA DIRECTING AND STARRING? AMAZING OOF I LOVE ONE MAN.

Boy was so beautiful (and sad), i think everyone needs to watch it.

• noël

taikia waititi: cry over this goat at 3am
    me, already sobbing: okay

• Eliana Victoria Alcouloumre

“Call me Little Shogun.”

• Eve

★★★★

Wow I didn’t expect this to have so much heart but be so sad

• Kyle Christian

★★★½

A sweet look into rural NZ life in the 80’s. I snickered when Waititi asked Boy if he minded his dad being the Incredible Hulk. A foreshadow snicker.

• paul

A slice of life, coming of age type film taking place in the outback of New Zealand circa 1984, this film relies on a certain cinematic quirkiness in the telling of its tale of a boy (aptly named Boy) and his family and friends.

All the usual kid growing up stuff is here - his attraction for a girl that is totally wrongheaded as she’s obviously a mismatch for him, all while he ignores the much more grounded girl next…

• Ush

★★★★

Requires more brainpower than the average movie just to understand what half the cast are saying...

This is a very difficult film to review.