• Pi

★★★

This was a surprise, especially considering how unremarkable The Broadway Melody of 1929 was, here we have a film that's actually quite fun. While the original settled mostly on shooting with tripods and basic stage sets, the production here is WAY more lavish, with the camera making sweeping movements and the set design now gorgeously eye-catching. As a result of the far advanced filmmaking techniques (you can see the ceiling in one shot!!!), the dancers here are given a lot…

• Nick H.

★★★

I submit this as proof that Buddy Ebsen was once young. Also, Jack Benny wasn't being the miser character, which was just weird to see after growing up with that one Looney Tunes cartoon that got mega play in the 1980s.

• Rantonucci

Meh.

• kyra_kat

★★★½

Fun! The ending was a bit of a let down, but still some brilliant performances.

• Kari 🏈

★★★

The story was weak but the dance numbers were outstanding. Robert Taylor is in his prime as a dreamboat! Una Merkel is so adorable. Jack Benny added humor.

Both Eleanor Powell and Buddy Ebsen (along with sister Vilma) make their debut in this film. I really loved their dance number, "Sing Before Breakfast". Powell is an amazing tap dancer and Ebsen is such a goof. It's hard to believe this young guy is the same person I watched on The…

• Neil Steffens

★★★

Song and dance and snoring. Not much to the plot, but a standout number towards the beginning of the movie. Read my full review here.

• Cole Bradley

★★★½

The things Eleanor Powell can do with her feet are just mindblowing and wow does that sound way filthier than I thought it would.

• ykantgoranrite

★★★★

Eleanor Powell Hepburn, where have you been all my life?!

• anne_f_

★★★

One of those odd films which was nominated for an Oscar which makes one wonder what on earth those watching 1935's films were thinking of when they made thier choces. There's nothing objectionable about this one, it's quite good fun in its tale of theatre life, but it's not a Good Film.

• EvanstonDad

★½

Despite its Oscar nomination for Best Original Story, the plot of "Broadway Melody of 1936" could fit on a toothpick. And what little there is moves forward at a glacial pace, completely stopped from time to time by a lavish musical number warbled out in supreme 1930s style.

Though I prefer musicals post-"Oklahoma!", when songs were integrated into the plot rather than existing as stand-alone numbers strung together by the thinnest of stories, I'm not resistant to the charms of…

• Gregory Wood

★★★★

director roy del ruth + busby berkley= damn good musical

• Not Pauline Kael

An MGM musical with Eleanor Powell (a dynamo, all right, but she manages to be wholesome even in glittering top hat and tails), Robert Taylor, Buddy Ebsen, Jack Benny, Frances Langford, Una Merkel, and June Knight. A good score by Arthur Freed and Nacio Herb Brown includes "I Gotta Feelin' You're Foolin'," "You Are My Lucky Star," and "Broadway Rhythm." Roy Del Ruth directed.