André De Toth made only made two noirs, but in Crime Wave he gives us a lesson on how easy it is to make a great noir movie in just a few simple steps:
1) Wear an eye-patch. (Actually this is pretty good advice for would-be film directors of any kind.)
2) Cast Sterling Hayden as an ambiguous cop and don’t let him smoke during the shoot so he’s a bit testy.
3) Cast crazy Timothy Carey and throw his ass down a set of wooden stairs
4) If you can get Charles Bronson, Ted de Corsia, and Dub Taylor, that’s gravy.
5) Take to the streets of L.A. use all real locations all the time.
6) Use a cardboard…