• GoatGonzo

🌹February 2021 Daily Horror Hunt: Black Horror Month🥀

[27] BREAK'S OVER!! Now let's watch the longest horror film that you can get your mitts on! (within reason of course, don't get too crazy...)

This is a curious film. There's always the question of whether a remake really needs to be there. Did it outdo the original in some way or add something new to its legacy? Spike Lee actually feels like he's not trying to outdo or fix anything about…

• velocifish

In the process of trying to clean and refine a jagged art film into a better understandable drama I feel that Spike Lee lost almost everything that was interesting about Ganja & Hess the first time around - the dynamic and confrontational social politics still present in the essentially unaffected narrative, but dwindled into melodramatic mush as far as they actually impact the viewer. The soundtrack sucks, it just feels like ill-fitting stock music, and the stale performances aren't nearly good…

• Mazinkaiser

★★★★

We live in a (blood) society

• Jack Coleman

Didn't know this was a Ganja & Hess remake till I red the Kanopy description lol
    Really gorgeous filmmaking on display here, as one would hope. Ruth E. Carter's costumes are delectable and full of eye-catching details. The use of songs was pretty much always effective and often quite funny. The class-related themes were in much sharper focus here, thanks partly from a hilarious turn from Malek. The sex scenes were very clearly directed by a heterosexual man, but at least in this world gays don't stay buried for long.

• Nick Davie

★★★

An indie vampire film from Spike Lee? sign me up. It is as daft as the plot suggests and that is totally fine, it is a decent watch but it is silly.

• WilMunny

★★★★½

I would buy this film

• Hunni

yea i watched this for the culture and probably won’t again! it’s just not the best and the scores/music are almost distracting. the acting is not the best either. see what Lee was going for, but not quite my cup of tea 😬

• PODuff

★★★

The other day while watching Ganja and Hess, I thought, man, I bet this movie was influential for Spike Lee, only to discover that he in fact remade it 40 years later. Like the recent remake of Hitchcock's Rebecca, Lee's remake is slicker and more literal and thus loses some of the haunting power and mystery of the original.

• zoeanisee

Literally just Ganja and Hess but so much worse

• Bajo

The movie gradually bleeds out after the amazing opening credits to the lifeless, fifteen minute long, unnecessary lesbian foreplay scene, which has nothing to do with the protagonist or premise.

• Alex Proft

★½

The chick who plays Ganja sounds like Nicki Minaj's fake British accent but that's just her voice.

• Dan Prestwich

★★★½

To my eyes, this is completely impenetrable viewed as anything other than a remake of/companion piece to Ganja and Hess, a way to see Spike Lee remix scenes and ideas and themes from that film and filter them through his own lens. It's almost more fan project or love letter than a fully realized work, but taken as an experiment it is one that bears some mighty tasty fruit every 10 or 15 minutes if you're a fan of Lee.…