Sort by
  • Bachir Haddad

★★★★★

Considered a landmark in the Japanese jidaigeki genre legitimized by names such as Kihachi Okamoto or, more notoriously, Akira Kurosawa, Masaki Kobayashi’s “Hara-Kiri” is a compelling 2-hour long watch that, instead of glorifying the Samurai code as many others do, questions its ethics and morals.
    Set during a time when desperate rōnins used to knock on the doors of palaces to request committing seppuku (or hara-kiri), a traditional suicide ritual, in their courtyards with the hopes that their masters would…

• ben huang

★★★★½

what an excellent film, in all senses of the word. Harakiri presents its narrative in a masterful way and paces its storytelling in an extremely engaging, yet careful, manner. Performances are reserved yet plenty dramatic, and the weight of the film's central conflict is never lost on the viewer even when they jump around from time to time in the narrative.

Framing of each shot and movement of the camera to accommodate each shot is fucking beautiful. My only complaint…

• ebag_3

★★★★★

Such a clever told story with a smart use of flashbacks to tell it's tail. Everything is all around perfect, from writing and performances and cinematography, along with one of the best scores I've ever heard. Just that beginning is something out of this world. So entertaining and well paced, with such a badass ending. Everything was outstanding and I already want to watch it again.

• cinesinvertigo

5.8/10
    2.90 Stars

• Tortue97

★★★★½

Human drama in feudal Japan.

Exposing hypocrisy.

Kobayashi is a cinematography architect.

I'm gonna dive into his world.

• Trevzzzz

★★★★★

Huge kill bill vibes here and man I loved every second. The sword fights were on point. 10/10 recommend

• deelawng

★★★★★

so amazing it should be illegal

• Bart Woinski

★★★★½

I realize that I might lose my film badge for not giving this five stars but that's okay. Hara-kiri is an amazing film, it simply didn't sit with me until the latter half. It is in that final hour that the slowly waxed narrative of the first becomes truly relevatory, resulting in one of the best "gotcha!" moments in history as Hanshiro Tsugumo throws the topknots onto the ground and delivers a crass admonishment of the supposed honor of the…

• Asher

Joker Samurai

• cemaligil

Samuraylık, onur, yoksulluk gibi kavramların; Japonya'ya özgü derebeylik(daimyo) sisteminin sorgulandığı mükemmel bir film.

• Tyler Douglas

★★★★

A gripping tale of honor and respect

An elegant piece of cinema that was both enjoyable and interesting.