• menina_alema

★★★½

The outstanding performance by the two main actors made this movie.
    Plot-wise I'm glad it didn't take the obvious "white-girl-turned-terrorist" turn.

• Glen Grunau

★★★½

Looking for a movie to watch on my birthday at our 108 Mile Ranch ski getaway, we chose a downloaded version of this movie.  It turned out to be recorded off German TV and was in German subtitles.  No problem we thought.  It's a British movie filmed in London.

As it turned out, the Muslim protagonist did not speak English.  Our challenge was to interpret a script primarily spoken in French and Arabic with only the help of German subtitles…

• Birta Rán

★★★½

What I loved about London River is that it tackles racism and prejudice in such a strong way.
    As a viewer you don't really know if you are full of prejudice because they were the bombers or not, because you don't know, and the films actively keeps the truth out of your reach until the end.

• Gustaf Ottosson

★★★★★

One of the most realistic and powerful films I've seen in a very long time. Technically and performance wise this is as close to perfection that you'll get. Anyone who've seen this and didn't like it should suffer death by firing squad.

See the ranking of this film and all others I've seen this year here!

• marta

★★★★

Sin duda alguna la he visto en una época muy adecuada para comprenderla en toda su intención. Sobria y triste visión de los daños colaterales del terrorismo, de lo que puede perjudicar tener una mente cerrada y de que no importa mucho si vivimos con alguien o no, porque jamás le conoceremos por completo.

• Jonathan Edney

★★★½

A predictable but intriguing drama where two strangers arrive in London looking for their children following the 7/7 bombings. The ending is never really in doubt no matter how much the film may try and misdirect you but the performances of Brenda Blethyn and Sotigui Kouyate (who died shortly after the film was made) are heart-breaking in different ways: one wears their emotions on their sleeve, the other expresses much through only their eyes and it is this clash as well as a clash of cultures and prejudices that gives the drama an edge.

• cassadee

★★★

Sad - I want to say "simple" but it was more "abrupt" - it left me feeling a bit up in the air, some residual consternation - I don't know. Was very distracted by Sotigui Kouyaté, the tentative, graceful, so vulnerable way he looked and moved. He was maybe TOO stoical, as Brenda Blethyn eddied, struggling and jibbering around him.

• Ben Rasmin

★★★

Rachid Bouchareb's film is posited as a musing on the tragic 7/7 terrorist attack on London, which saw 52 people lose their lives. Brenda Blethyn and Sotigui Kouyaté are cast as two parents who journey to the capital in search for their missing children, but their meeting of minds transforms London River into more of an odd couple affair than the retrospective affair that you suspect Bouchareb was hoping for. This is not to the detriment of the film however,…

• Brendan Edwards

★★★

A very emotionally captivating film in what we see these two very different strangers come together to find their children in this multi-cultural world. Two amazingly simple but heartfelt performances from the leads...

• tofb

Sad.
    Neither parent really knows their child. They are both lone souls before and after the events unfold.
    I fully expected the mother to throw herself off that cliff she's always hanging about. I like how the father worked as a tree saver and was so tall, thin and gnarled, just like an Ent.
    I liked the glimpse of London life, and of life on an English farm.
    I hated the morgue scene, squirmy.
    I can't figure out if this is a true story or just a "dramatization"

• Steve G

★★★

Bear in mind this is a review from a person very rapidly becoming a cynical old bastard.

London River troubled me. Not necessarily in the way that it was supposed to, but more in the way that it told its story. It's a mark of just how wonderful the two central performances are here, from Brenda Blethyn and Sotigui Kouyaté, that I've given this a friendly orange heart and three stars because there really wasn't much else here that would…

• Martin Jensen

★★★½

Maybe a little too contrived to hit the tone of naturalism it's going for, but nevertheless this is a pretty powerful film with great performances from Brenda Blethyn and Sotigui Kouyaté.