• Kevin Daly

A film with two mot one not two fatal flaw: an embarrassment of a script and being interminablly boring.

Insomniac review: watched after 2 hours sleep and I stand by my response.

• iainvaltellina

★★★★

This heartfelt war story starts off away from action but draws you in to solve it's mystery, while watching a band of brothers working to survive in a little Italian community during WWII. The feelings are genuine, the conflicts all too real and the outcome will stick in your mind ling after the credits.

• arsagen

★★★★½

na kraju pustih i suzu. koliko volim Spajk Li-ja čoveče.

• Blake Altman

You know, when you watch a war movie, you kind of expect a lot more...war.

MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA is definitely one of Spike Lee's more ambitious projects: it's big, outrageous, and bleak in ways that Lee usually doesn't go for. It's that last one that probably beings this movie down the most, further hampered by a barely there frame narrative that isn't really even worth including in the film.

To be fair, it's not an AWFUL movie by any…

• MrTorres

WWII black troops deserve a better telling than what the otherwise capable Spike Lee delivers here.

• KenDomo

The two Spike Lee joints about war are in polar opposite of existence. Miracle at St. Anna clearly don’t exist in 2008. Whale Da 5 Bloods is the hight of existence in 2020.

• matt lynch

★★★★

“A film is like a battleground. There's love, hate, action, violence, death. In one word, emotion.” -- Sam Fuller, PIERROT LE FOU

• Giacometti

★★★½

I know who the sleeping man is / God don’t like ugly...

• yahsee

i tried to watch this multiple times and it was not sticking for me. sorry spike.

• francesheh

½

Nearly three hours of underwritten characters, terrible acting, a wrap around story that has nothing to do with 98% of the run time, confusing action sequences and not one but two mind boggling "good Nazis" subplots, Miracle at St. Anna also features a scene in which Buffalo Soldiers, Italian civilians, and a Nazi are cross cut saying the same prayer with Blanchard's sweeping, treacly score overlaid showing their shared humanity or some bullshit which is the cinematic equivalent of "very good people on both sides."

Profoundly awful. I'm really, really shocked. THIS IS A SPIKE LEE FILM???????..??!??!??!??

• Thomas Elliott Griffiths

This was Spike Lee’s first go at a war film after arguing with Clint Eastwood about the whitewashing of history in his war films. Unfortunately, despite some good performances, this film lacks any real vigour, is messy and ultimately kinda boring. The make is missed here, but I definitely think Spike redeems himself with his return to the genre in 2020’s Da 5 Bloods.

Also, I think the films title would’ve benefitted being The Sleeping Man due to it being more relevant to the story, and also because the second act has the capacity to send an insomniac to sleep.

• Austin

The running idea of oppressive systems and racial injustice is certainly Lee, as is the empathy for the individual locked into the oppressor's path, but St. Anna has very little individual style. This is Spielberg-lite, a comparison I make because some positive responses to this film compare the 'action' to Saving Private Ryan; the filmmaking during those sequences is indeed good, but barely present and not at all as devastating.

This is also the first of Lee's films that gets…