• macrap15

★★★★★

Great movie. As a huge jazz fan this move meant a lot to me and it was done great. The cinematagrophy in Mo Better Blues is beautiful and very smooth. The scene where Clarke and Bleek are kissing and the room looks like it's spinning blew my mind, I didn't know how it was done. The editing was also very well done, the montage in which Bleek is intensely playing his horn and cuts between Bleek playing and Spike Lee getting beat up is very intense and amazing. Very good movie 10/10.

• calamityhey

★★★

Probably the most straightforward Spike Lee joint around which is fine when you have prime Denzel up front (not to mention a backing band comprised of Wesley Snipes, Giancarlo Esposito and Bill Nunn!)

Gentle critique of the ferocious demands placed upon artists of color in order to breach the mainstream. Finding salvation in family is the sort of boring moral I would generally dismiss, but Lee leads up to it in an unusual way, playing into narrative expectations, then bucking them, then reasserting them once more.

• Franco

★★★★½

Formally sublime with a soundtrack to match. Spike's regulars performed in a way that had me feeling glued to their next move. Some of the subplots didn't quite capture my attention as they should have but overall I was quite taken by this underrated Spike Lee joint.

• Rio

★★★★

I've meant to watch this movie ever since my parents remembered they named me after a character a couple years ago.

Spike Lee sure can wield a camera. Denzel sure can play to one.

• Dale Nauertz

★★★★

My dive into the filmography of Spike Lee continues with "Mo' Better Blues". "Mo' Better Blues" is Spike's jazz musical/drama, concerning a gifted jazz/blues trumpeter named Bleek Gilliam, played by Denzel Washington. It's an interesting character study of a talented man with a chip on his shoulder, a selfish man who craves the spotlight and is loathe to share it with his gifted saxophonist Shadow (Wesley Snipes, before he became the black Bruce Willis). He also has trouble making up…

• Juan Espinoza

★★★★

Evidentemente menos militante que Do The Right Thing pero ejecutada con la misma sinceridad; Lee ha hecho algo genial, no sólo desmitifica a la figura del artista (el jazzista en este caso) sino que al mismo tiempo eleva por encima de todo a la familia. Esa aventura también es gloriosa ante los ojos de Lee. Increíble uso de la cámara y de los colores y, por supuesto, de la música.

Quizás con el tiempo se convierta en otra de mis favoritas de Lee.

• Juvenile Cinephile

★★★★

I rewound the part where Spike homages Dreyer's Ordet about 5 times.

• Josh Murray

★★★

Even Spike Lee's acting can't ruin Spike Lee's storytelling, but it tries.

MVP: Denzel Washington

• Lenny Somers

★★★½

Grandioze muziek. Sterke vertolkingen. Denzel <3
    Maar komt niet in de buurt van dé Spike Lee films à la Malcolm X of Do the Right Thing.

• Matt Abrahamson

★★★

What a strange movie Spike Lee chose to make after Do the Right Thing.

Thankfully he didn't try to match it, but Mo' Better Blues is a clunky film that lakes much direction despite some good music and an always great Denzel Washington performance.

The movie has edges, but is too damn earnest at times. There is a scene where Washington's character kicks a women out of his bed early in the morning saying he has somewhere to be. He…

• Joshua Brown

★★★

The movie that the gif from my post belongs to. Universal Pictures was clearly happy with the work that Brother Spike had done on Do The Right Thing because they gave him a big budget for this non-commercial fare. What Spike does with the budget proves that he's a naturally gifted filmmaker. He turns early 90s NYC into a place that resembles the Harlem Renaissance. He achieves this look through the lush and colorful cinematography, costume, and production design that…

• jad AMFU

★★★

admittedly ambling without a clear narrative throughline, but I think Spike succeeds in creating a world you want to spend time in and characters you want to hear talk, even about nothing in particular. virtuosic camera moves are juxtaposed with dialogue-centric one-rs that are well staged and paced. the music's good too!