• cater

★★★

Loved the cinematography and direction here, its absolutely gorgeous. Other than that, just didn’t gel much with it. A little too long and uninteresting especially given all the tools had spike had to work withh, it could have been pretty great.

Spike Lee Ranked

• alexjungee

★★★★

You gotta have balls to play Jazz.

• Maddy Hegelcar

★★★½

This movie definitely has.... a.... view on semitism. That’s all I’ll say.

• Desmond Thorne

★★★★

Aka “HE’S Gotta Have It”, with Jazz and one of Spike’s most heartwarming endings!

The ensemble is great per usual, and it’s dope to see his first collabs with Denzel and Wesley, as well as the first use of his “magical dolly walking shot”.

Also, Alicia Keys is not the best actor, but she would have SLAYED as Clarke if this were made about ten years later.

• Jason Alley

★★★

I’ve always heard this was not one of Spike Lee’s better films and that is definitely true. However, as with all great directors, even their lesser efforts are worth watching.

Pros: The film looks AMAZING, as Ernest R. Dickerson’s cinematography is always great and makes the film worth watching all by itself here. Loved the jazz/R&B crossover soundtrack too (except for Denzel’s rapping, oof) and the cast is excellent even though....

Cons: ....the characters simply aren’t interesting and the story…

• Andrew

★★★½

A beautiful sumptuous film that swims with passion in sultry smooth sound and rich night destroying colour. There is not a single dull character on display here, it’s all brimming with life, friends and family. It doesn’t step into sociological concerns like Lee’s touchstone film prior to it, but I think it’s better for it. John Coltrane’s omnipresence in this film is the perfect backbone from which this story glides so easily and retains its connection to earth and the heavens it references.

View

• Carlos Eduardo L. " Cadu "

★★★★

Melhor filme do Spike Lee em termos de fotografia, é tão bonito . Mas sim , em si é filme bem gosto de se assistir.

Nota: 8.5/10

• Jacob

★★★★

The scene where Spike's character's leaning against the wall chilling whilst Jeanne is shouting at him in French is exactly what I feel like when I'm with my French speaking friends lmao...

anyways, this was fun, cool story, a different speed to the joint that preceded it (DTRT, which is one of the greatest films ever made) but still enjoyed it, this was hilarious and even though Spike and Ernest were still finding their feet visually, the camerawork in this was insane.

• Léane

★★★★★

Why lie, I think this is perfect.

• CinematicSense

★★★★

Like the jazz played throughout, this film feels so free and effortless.
    It helps that the camerawork is incredible. And the ensemble cast is outstanding - Washington, Snipes, Esposito, Jackson, John Turturro, Charlie Murphy!
    Perhaps Spike Lee’s most underrated film.

• Andy Mitchell

How many films will it take before I’m convinced that jazz really is the best kind of music?

• itsalwaysdonny