• Babalugats

★★★★

Spike Lee's loosest, most purely cinematic, and least political film. It's difficult to find new things to say about Denzel Washington, but this is one of the best performances of one of the best performers in movie history.

• lonestarr357

★★★

Scavenger Hunt #30
    Task #30: Ask someone you care about for a movie, then watch it

Trumpeter Bleek Gilliam (Denzel Washington) finds himself juggling two women (Joie Lee, Cynda Williams), a hotheaded compatriot (Wesley Snipes) and his gambler manager (Spike Lee). Too long and a little too dramatic at times, but the parts that work (the acting, the soundtrack, Lee's direction) work beautifully.

• Cole Schneider

★★★★½

Waaaay underrated in Lee's filmography, probably because it's way more subdued than his films to that point, Mo' Better Blues is jazz on screen. It's charming, skillful, bittersweet, improvisational, sensual, honest, lived in, unhurried, tragic, stylish, and altogether beautiful in its form. It also serves as a good argument against those who used his previous film, Do the Right Thing, as an indictment of Lee as a pessimist. Almost to the point of disrupting the entire structure of the film, Mo' Better Blues presents an intensely optimistic worldview in its final act.

• rscooper

★★★½

Pretty funny, pretty sexy too. Most of the performance scenes are fantastic, almost makes me want to listen to jazz. Young Denzel and Wesley Snipes going at each other is great. At one point Denzel raps and does a Flavor Flav impression which is unfortunate. Also unfortunate: an antisemitic John Turturro Performance.

• Gabe Leibowitz

★★½

Like most '90-'99 Lee flicks: excessive, obvious, but well-made and full of groove. It's pretty evident where this one's going from the opening childhood scenes and never really delivers any surprises; still manages to entertain (to an extent) with strong performances (particularly Denzel) and a fantastic soundtrack. Spike's films are rarely awful—they're so full of personality and passion that it's hard not to find a certain resonance in even the more mediocre entries. In the end, though, so many of…

• Kyle Huffman

★★★★½

Mo' Better Blues, Spike Lee's follow-up to Do The Right Thing, digs further into the particulars of the Black Experience in of itself in its exploration of the artistry of jazz. Whereas his earlier masterwork is weighed down by questions of survival and oppression, Mo' Better principally gets its mileage out of interrogating lines of personal and professional fulfillment that's quite frequently afforded to white artists but all too often ignored in relation to their black counterparts.

• Jason Van Horne

★★★★½

Mo' Better Blues will remain memorable due to Lee's style and insistence on the importance of jazz well after its heyday and well after its community had gone elsewhere.

• Corey Bussey

★★★★

A very under rated Spike Lee joint, coming after Do The Right Thing of course its not as quite as prolific but that doesn't mean it is still not worth watching. A very good and very honest look into the world of creative people split between living the life of the stage and life off of it.

• arlin

★★½

such a mixed bag. could go for way more
    denzel going insane on the floor

• Matt Wooldridge

★★★½

After hearing Spike Lee interviewed on the Denzel Washington (is the greatest actor of all time period) podcast, I realised there were some films I needed to see – Mo' Better Blues at the top of the list – a film I never saw growing up and I’m not sure why. I might have assumed it was a musical, a genre which I’m not entirely fond of. And these were the days before I embraced jazz music.

But I’m glad…

• Felino

La història gira envers un trompetista en el cim del seu èxit, i la seua relació amb el seu grup, les dones i la fama. La pel·lícula tracta de contar els revessos de la fama i la popularitat, però es fa massa avorrida. No és del millor de Spike Lee, però té alguns bons moments musicals.

• Atom

I was about to shake my head at Duck Tales: The Movie – Treasure of the Lost Lamp edging out Spike Lee's follow-up to Do the Right Thing on their opening weekend (August 3, 1990), until I realized that Mo' Better Blues opened almost $10 million mo' better than Do the Right Thing.