• Joshua Paige

A Beautifully Gothic Piece of Western German Cinema

-Beesh

For starters, this is a Werner Herzog picture first and foremost. Yes, this is one of the best adaptations of classic horror and one of the only instances where it’s not only exceptional as a remake but almost on par with the original, but the film belongs to Herzog first.

All the classic tropes are there; the lingering static shots vs the swooping cinematography; the dark mood and atmosphere; the haunting…

• William O. Tyler

★★★

This time in English. I wonder which language the scenes with dialogue were filmed in first. The German version of the film certainly feels more authentic.

• Joe

★★★★½

So poetic. So profound. Bleak. Horrifying. I one day hope to make a movie as brilliant as this. It damn near has everything right. Much better a second time although I found it to be incredible on first viewing.

Happy birthday Klaus Kinski.

• Fernando

★★★

Incredible atmosphere and acting by Kinsky.

• chris alton

33 of 33 for HoopTober 4.0

Nosferatu isn't a flashy film but, man, is it gorgeous. Seriously, pound for pound is this Herzog's best film photography wise? Its imagery is poetic. It opens with real life mummies, lost souls of the living, firmly planting us in the land of the macabre. Harker's journey to the castle of Dracula feels treacherous, but not in the way of something like Fitzcarraldo, its treachery is felt through beautiful imagery more than it's told.…

• nikai

★★½

it was nice seeing klaus kinski suffer at the end, but i certainly could have done with more suffering.

• Ishan

★★★½

Hooptober 4.0 #8

Another really good film by Werner Herzog and a remake that surpasses the original in pretty much every single way. With Nosferatu the Vampyre, Herzog manages to create a mood of dread that I found much more unnerving than what Murnau did with the 1922 Nosferatu. Furthermore, Klaus Kinski was far more menacing and creepy than Max Schreck was in my opinion. There was an underlying sense of loneliness to his character, making him much more complex.…

• emkang

★★★★

Who would have thought that Herzog was capable of a fairly straightforward but excellent remake of a classic movie?

• Jordan Mackay

★★★½

October Horror Movie Watching: Day 16

Oh my god Vlad, you can't just tell someone their fiancee has a lovely throat! That's like, SUPER weird and he's totally gonna think you're like a creep or something.

• Galen

★★★★

Kinski’s peformance is brilliant, bringing a weariness and sadness to the role that makes Dracula a sympathetic character. The cinematography is also brilliant, echoing German Expressionism while putting Herzog’s own spin on it. The scenes towards the end, where nature is reclaiming the town, areparticularly evocative.

• jakedoland

★★★★½

That was pretty good, had a bit much on the exposition. It also had some weird stuff that was difficult to take seriously, but I enjoyed it.

• groovychainsaws

★★★★½

Rating for the English version (may watch again in German)

A slightly askew interpretation of the story of Dracula; using mostly the names and general guidelines of both the novel and the original Nosferatu as more of a vessel to carry a larger narrative of abstract decay. It  can be argued that the original Stoker novel poised Dracula as one who brought an image and revolution of new life, sexuality, and Eastern power to the xenophobic, repressed sensibilities of Victorian…