• Eamon

★★★★

When a film makes me forget I'm watching it on my phone - and the inherent discomfort of said experience - there's certainly something special about it.

I don't have much more than a passing familiarity with Kinski, but the role of Dracula seems made for him. He may have been able to tackle the fiendishness of the part even with less makeup.

A feeling of despair begins its descent on both the film and the viewer at the outset, and by the hour mark leaves everyone suffocating and trying to piece together their shattered will to live.

• Peaceful Anarchy

★★★½

Beautiful images and possibly the best Dracula adaptation, but it lives in this weird place between expressionism and realism that, along with awkward pacing, makes it difficult to get involved with the narrative or characters. It values style over substance at every turn, including a very nonsensical ending. The style is good, but not good enough to completely overcome the issues this approach creates.

• Freyr

★★★★

Reviewed as part of the History of Horror 2017 Challenge. You can find my list here if you'd like to follow along!

I love Nosferatu and the story of Dracula. It is a timeless classic, rife with haunting imagery and horrific potential. I've had my eye on Werner Herzog's take on the tale for some time now, and now that I've seen it I'm impressed at how he managed to turn a story I've seen played out countless times into…

• Tyler Rolland

★★★★★

If vampires were real, surely this would be their experience. A very stark, lonely, and sad existence.

• timseb

★★½

Herzog's own version of what he several times has named the best film in history. I had high hopes going into this classic, especially so after seeing his masterpiece Aguirre: The Wrath of God only a week earlier. Nosferatu the Vampyre's first thirty minutes or so are promising, but that promise is not fulfilled. In the end this Murnau homage is muddled and somewhat dreary, but has flashes of greatness.

• danosou

★★★½

Visually I thought it was great. The atmosphere, direction, cinematography, the old buildings and use of shadows. It was great. In hindsight I probably should not have watched the English version, but as far as acting goes it was really just Kinski and Topor as Dracula and Renfield that stood out to me, not that the rest were bad or anything. I'll have to see it again in German one day to give it a fairer view. I don't normally…

• ecnef

Meh. Looked pretty in places but not that great.

• Knox Gray

★★★★★

A sensory feast. Takes Herzog's musings on nature and man and applies them wonderfully to the Vampire myth. Acted wonderfully and with a surprisingly understated Kinski performance.

• A_lonely_grape

★★★★½

The horrors of cinema can be so many things. Lurid, trashy, gory, poetic, beautiful, but Nosferatu the Vampyre is one of the first I can claim to be operatic. Your move Eggers.

• Amanda Christensen

★★★★

I just became a fan of Isabelle Adjani.

• Bsmith8168

★★★½

Werner Herzog's take on Dracula/Nosferatu is one of the finest on the subject.  Filled with nightmarish imagery, the settings look right for the period, and most of all Kinski in the lead as Nosferatu.  Kinski is terrifying as a vampire his huge eyes have a horrifying look all be themselves, but add his two ratlike fangs and facepaint and it's an image you won't be able to quickly shake.  Herzog's naturalistic style makes the story come more alive in a…

• Yuta Ito

★★★

On second viewing, I begin to see some skilful use of film technique in its composition and use of light... But the acting and accents are still extremely off-putting. Meh