• Philip Schmidt

★★★★½

Someone was recently commenting on the nature of the American personality. In a general sense, we have an inborn restlessness that keeps us constantly moving and searching for more. The dark side of this trait is a penchant for violence and greed not seen in most other cultures.

This seems correct to me and Eastwood's films are studies in this unique American-ness. He looks deep into the American character and the Clint hero character (back when he still starred in…

• María

★★★★

They shot him forever

• Ronin

"You!"

• TheRealNeil

★★★½

Released in 1985 when the Western Movie was so far in decline there were tumbleweeds blowing through, this timely release is pretty much a remake of the classic film Shane, with a touch of Eastwood's own High Plains Drifter and Man With No Name series. Although being a bit formulaic with a base story that kept The A Team going week on week, the addition of Clint with a great cast and some cracking cinematography was enough to scare off…

• Ash Ward

★★★

Perfectly okay western but not a patch on Eastwood's seminal work in the genre.

• Ben Harris

★★★½

Thematically very 80s/90s, way more so than I'd expect from a Clint Eastwood film. There's something about this kind of story telling that repels me. Just so wholesome and cheesy that I can't take any characters seriously. I feel like I'm being taught a very vague, possibly poorly thought out life lesson. Still, enjoyable enough just to watch Clint do his thing, even though it looks like he made this just to play the most infallible badass.

• Joe

★★★★½

Who can resist this, a near-perfect melding of classical old-fashioned Hollywood western and cool Sergio Leone yarn, anchored by the last (and greatest, in my inexpert opinion!) western star of them all? Evidently a lot of my Letterboxd friends, who at a glance seem to have pelted this with a lot of mediocre ratings. I loved it though, its subtly supernatural protagonist, its Eastwood-signature scenes in almost total darkness, even the corny romance angles felt like something you might find…

• Jared Quinn

I honestly did not like this film. The story was boring and not original. Clint Eastwood definetly was just starting out and this is far from his best work. The acting was bad. The movements and social interactions were weird. Just not for me.

• ShortCut

★★★★½

There´s no doubt that PALE RIDER is a remake from George Stevens classic SHANE and it is one of the few ones that i like a lot more than the original. At George Stevens, Shane is a saint. Eastwood makes this figure a priest and leaves no doubt that this savior is also an angel of revenge. A killer. A stranger without a name who appears like a ghost and disappears again.

• Braden

★★★½

Decent, I liked the incorporation of religion as it acted as a commentary of sorts on the classic Western hero. Pretty good story as well, characters worked well with each other and the dialogue wasn't unrealistically old fashioned. Just didn't have the same impact that Unforgiven or any other Eastwood film had on me. But the action was well shot and edited, mirroring those of classics. Also Eastwood has never failed to deliver the most epic of finales, and this was no disappointment.

• Levi_Har

★★★★

Really good action and a good story.

• Matt Greene

★★½

Pale Rider encapsulate the two biggest genres in Eastwood’s legacy: westerns and melodrama. A lone stranger shows up, he’s more that he seems to be, he causes a stir, then he saves the town. Other than some super cool action (which we expect from Eastwood in this type of role), this is just a flatly basic western told in a flatly basic manner.