• bj_slive

★★★½

Goofy fun. Has a lot of unfulfilled potential though, but Kilmer is fantastic.

• Adrian

★★★★★

I NEVER SAW ALL THE LEVELS OF GAY ALLEGORY AND SUBTEXT IN THIS MOVIE UNTIL TONIGHT BUT ITS HERE NOW AND IM LOSING MY GODDAMN MIND

• hollyhope

★★★★★

#1 favorite movir

• Jeremy LaLonde

★★★★

I don't know how it is that I had never heard of this film. I was working with two of the creative consultants on the show I'm working on and somehow this film came up, and surprisingly it just got added to netflix, so I saw it as a sign.

The hard thing about going back to much loved films, especially those made in the eighties, is that there's a real danger of them not holding up all that well.…

• Ben Lott

★★★½

There are two main reasons that Real Genius works. First of all, it’s the overwhelming charm of Val Kilmer. He plays the role of Chris Knight with so much suave confidence that you instantly feel like you want to hang out with this guy. I’m not sure he totally sells the fact that the character is also a genius, but at least the fun-loving joyful presence is infectious. The other success in Real Genius is William Atherton as the slimy…

• stink boy

The whimsical engineering atmosphere and anti-military stuff would be cuter if it wasn't padded with so much weird, rote misogyny.

• Mikey K

★★★½

Do you know there is a guy living in the closet?

• elaine

★★★★½

the fact that this is my dad’s favorite movie of all time explains a lot about both his sense of humor and my upbringing

• Spencer_Lee

★★½

popcorn flick

• Nathan West

★★★

As a kid I remember thinking Val Kilmer's goofball, anti-authoritarian antics were funny, honestly looking at it now I found him to be kind of annoying and most of his jokes and one-liners don't really land. However, the relationship his character has with young Mitch is handled really well (it's a brotherly bromance) and carries a good portion of the film, plus most of the supporting cast is solid (Jon Gries for the win!). William Atherton as the villain is…

• Reina

★★★

- the second half is much better than the first
    - the costumes are great
    - I love the slow motion scene at the end
    - Val Kilmer is pretty hot in this

• Chayton Bobee

★★★★½

Pros:
    -every outfit Chris (and Mitch) wears is a look
    -the bromance between Chris and Mitch
    -every joke lands (the god in the braces thing? hilarious)
    -Jordan is an entire mood
    -the soundtrack (ending the movie with Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears is a gamble that totally pays off)
    -lasers!
    -the revenge is well planned out and fun!
    -the iconic popcorn scene!!!!
    - Val Kilmer is hot
    -Gabriel Jarret is also hot
    -basically everyone in this movie is hot

Cons:
    -Kent and his top row braces don’t die like they should