• tectactoe

★★½

47/100

Kind of like going to a dinner party where only hors d'oeuvres are served, but never an actual supper; the appetizers are tasty, and you walk around picking and stuffing your face with all of them, but you never feel satiated, and by the time you leave, you're hungry for a full-sized meal. That never comes. A good portion of these theories are surely crocks, but they're interesting nonetheless. Don't expect to crack any codes, though; if anything, Room…

• Sean Dowd

★★★★

THAT BEING SAID I think you guys are giving Kubrick too much credit lol like not ALL of this stuff is on purpose.

• Sean Dowd

★★★★

One of the scariest/mind blowing documentaries I’ve ever witnessed.

• Gui Farias

★★★½

Muitos detalhes que passam despercebidos pelos desatentos, fora os argumentos extremamente plausíveis sobre a genialidade de Kubrick!

• ltbrag

If Alex Jones made a documentary this would be it

• Ray

★★★½

A perhaps overly-elaborate ode to the most profound meaning any art can impart: that which we bring it. Details about the personal lives of those who speak constantly directly inform the wellspring of meaning they find in the Shining and it’s not entirely clear if they understand that something can either look a certain color because the thing is that color, or because the lens itself is.

I think the first time around I knocked this for being, if completely…

• Reasonwasout

Love how dudes call fan theories "academic interest."

You know how people demand that Harry Potter fans just, y'know, read like one more book? That's kind of how I feel about the film, except people to get to argue more in defense of it because it's something classy.

When you've watched the opening of the Shining so many times you can see Kubrick's face superimposed in the clouds for just a second, then you need to take a long break…

• B. L. Loven

Hold on.... what?

• Dawson Joyce

★★★★

One of the most relentlessly and increasingly intriguing documentaries in recent memory, Rodney Ascher's Room 237 may seem like a film about the interpretative symbolism in Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of Stephen King's The Shining at first glance but what it truly represents is a work about a particular kind of obsession, one that involves taking symbolism way too far and how that symbolism, and the film it resides in, manages to greatly affect those who are mentally unbalanced.

• ✨ Felisha ✨

★½

This felt clumsy and boring. Though to be fair I'm a very casual fan of both The Shining and Stanley Kubrick, maybe a bigger fan would have enjoyed this documentary more.

• C Phillips

★★★

4/31

finally got around to this! never been a Shining fanatic or really cared about the film past seeing/enjoying it a couple of times but this was kind of rad. exhausting in the way it felt like sitting through the longest university film class ever

Ascher owns and I want more work from him

• Jill Malcolm

★★½

Didn’t necessarily care for the way this documentary was edited, but I enjoy some good crackpotitude about film and this didn’t disappoint. More of my views on the latest edition of Shame Files:

shamefiles.libsyn.com/011-the-witch