• jbthree

★★★½

It always takes me a while to get used to the heightened reality in Spike’s movies. Little did I know that this would turn into a musical at times which fit the surrealism. I did like it for the most part, including the berry in your face treatise on colorism. Also Jasmine Guy and Kadeem Hardison are in another HBCU together? This could’ve been A Different Different World.

• Jack Brodke

★★★½

Spike Lee literally has a character scream at the screen for us to "Wake up!" He's never been subtle, but that's also what makes his films work so well.

• breezybree1238

Spike Lee really gets it

• Ibrahim

★★★½

Good and bad hair is top tier Spike Lee work.

• Noah Brown

★★★

"You may have marched with MLK but that was damn near 20 years ago"

School Daze is muddy as hell, and falls short of a lot of what it sets up, but remains interesting to watch over 30 years later.

It's sad how much of the films subject matter continues to be relevant. An interesting contrast from its fraught, juvenile setting of a college campus, where everything seems to be temporary.

The film's opening is a student led protest rally…

• colinmedwick

★★★½

A bit all over the place, but a super interesting time capsule. Aesthetically it's so cool.

Loved how Spike used the campus as a microcosm to explore so many of the broader political themes he always nails. Also, it's dope how this is an exclusively black environment, which really gave light to a perspective that is so rarely shown in film - watched this as part of a BHM event, so that was cool. If you like his work, definitely check this out.

• Arri

★★★

“Look, I am sick of you niggers! Every day the same shit!”

Maybe this is blasphemy but I am generally ambivalent towards Spike Lee joints. This is one of the better ones I’ve seen, and probably my favorite.

• Jacob

★★★

a spike lee joint: the musical

• GreatValueOreo

★★★½

The musical elements come and go with no real consistency. Some moments drag on longer than necessary. The themes are good. The writing and direction work well. The cast have some great moments. Interesting as a basically a warmup for Do the Right Thing.

• ThePoleKing

Loved some of it but hated so much more. Any meaningful message got blanketed in grossness that didn’t lead to anything

• Ryan O'Leary

Larry Fishburne’s nipples.

• Nathan

★★★½

Spike Lee's Animal House and also a dry run for Do The Right Thing - this is likewise a hangout film built around competing ideologies that starts in a fairly lighthearted mode and builds to a traumatic climax and a call for reckoning. And it's a musical too, because why not? Significantly this film locates its world entirely within the black community and focuses on issues internal to it, with no attempt made to position itself for white consumption -…