• Owl Man

★★★½

What got my attention in this film, is the presence of Jackie Chan, who turned out to be playing a secondary character, a random cook at the temple. The main character is played by another good Chinese actor, Andy Lau. Funny thing, Chan and Lau actually played together in an awesome film "Island of Fire", from 20 years before.
    Here, Lau plays a soldier, who's family was murdered, while he survived. He was saved by the monks from Shaolin temple,…

• Arnold Furious

★★★

I was kinda getting into this, despite the long 2 hour run time, for a film that has around 90-100 minutes of ideas tops. Then the ending happened and deflated me somewhat. Probably knocked 1/2* off the rating too. There are some feelgood scenes. The best being Jackie Chan's "I don't know kung-fu" cook beating people up with cooking techniques. There's never been anyone as good as Jackie Chan at convincing me that he can't fight while fighting expertly. This…

• Chris Brown

★★★★½

Not only is this a great martial arts film, but it is a great martial arts film with a fantastic Jackie Chan fight rammed in there.

• sallious

★★★★½

Mom got this at the library, probably because Jackie Chan was on the front cover. Although Jackie Chan was not the main character, and I love Jackie Chan, I was really satisfied with his minor role. It was nice to see Jackie Chan as a supporting character, honestly. There was so much bloodshed, killing, and drama in this movie, but there was a strong sense of resolution that almost justified all the bad things that had happened.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the setting took place during the warlord era in China which I haven't seen much of before.

• Bethany

★★★★

I was not super enthused about this but it ended up being so enjoyable. Love for Jackie Chan forever, but just in general I found this to be really touching and fun. The fighting is awesome, obviously, and the story is a good time.

• ristubasan

★★★★

The formula is at this point well trodden. Spectacular to watch anyway. A bit more melodrama than usual, and the Jackie Chan humor foil doesn't quite balance it out; and there is none of the political sophistication of, say, the Ip Man films here. But still good fun.

• Dr Eldon Tyrell

★★½

This goes in all sorts of directions that were unexpected. Is it my hollywoodisation that I expect a touch of coherence? The tone is also all over the place. Redemption, hubris, child murder, then...slapstick comedy!! And unexpected Jackie Chan!!

• 61eRmovie

overall (100): 83

61eR ®

• Muchacho Jones

★★★★

I wasn't really into it until shit started going down around the half hour mark, but from that point on it was a genuinely moving story of reflection, transformation and repentance.

• dpaynter26

★★★★★

This movie turned out to be quite an awesome film. I would love to find more films just like this!

• alancwise

That was epic.

• Chase Eiland

★★★★

Epic drama with great fight scenes and an interesting take on guns vs Kung Fu. Fun cameo and comedic fighting by Jackie Chan.